Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: damage to quad tendon  (Read 8987 times)

Offline ppcmmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
damage to quad tendon
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee. About 3 weeks ago my 100lb dog slammed into my leg, within 2 hrs the pain was so intense I couldn't squat or kneel. The area above my kneecap was ans is extremely tender to the touch. I was supposed to see my orthopedist about the pain but the night before my appointment my husband hurt is foot at work and ended up stealing my appointmemt. (Nice right) well I had an mri and the report shows partial acl teat with cyst in acl. I also have a torn lateral meniscus which was previously repaired. 8 uave another week amd a half until I see my ortho.
It hurts to stand up or sit down as well as up and down stairs. The pain runs straight across the top of ky knee region and can be achy or sharp and burning. Also I have pain directly on my kneecap on the upper outside of it. I can barely tolerate the pain and cant help but wonder if I could have torn the quad tendon. What do you think?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: damage to quad tendon
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »
Hi ppcmmama

There is no thinking to be done - it`s a case of straight down to see either your doctor or an Orthopaedic Consultant and assume that a MRI will indicate the actual cause of the problem area. Do not delay as this could cause more damage.

I am attaching a set of documents compiled over a number of years, which highlights A ruptured Patella Tendon or A Ruptured Quadricep Tendon and explains in detail the rehab process which is lenghthy.

Don`t delay seeing the Consultant

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:52 AM »
Good morning all, have been reading bits on this site and find it very interesting.

My story: I am a 52 yr old, now inactive male, due to arthritis issues, and took a fall on a grassy slope, whisked off to a&e and after an xray diagnosed with a quad tendon rupture. Was sent home with an appt to revisit fracture clinic and scan confirmed a total separation from the patella. I was operated on the following day and told by OS that the op was a success in her eyes.

The op was April 19th, my last appt was June 13th and I go back Aug 7th. I read with interest that nearly everyone gets a decent ROM fairly soon, but at best I get maybe 30 or 40 degrees, and then only when the knee is well rested, if I undertake any work on the knee it swells and I get near 0 ROM. I have a brace fitted at 60 degree max but never get anywhere near that range. On my last appt I was told to do some leg raise exercises, they were difficult initially but I can manage these fairly easily now, but they get painful after doing maybe 5 or 6.

The Doc was sending me to physio, and I am still awaiting that appt (the NHS works at a v slow pace) so I am seeing a private physio this Thursday, hopefully the guy will know his stuff, hes been involved in pro football 25 years!!

I still have a large amount of swelling, that concerns me, along with the lack of ROM or am I worrying unduly after 3 months?

Thanks for reading, its passed some time for me, and my insomnia!!
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Hi Frank550

Welcome to the RQT web page - read with care - you have sustained a very serious injury, with a long rehab.

I have emailed you a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - Ask questions - keep posting - where do you live?

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
First I must apologise for hijacking the thread, to ppcmmama, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. I certainly can sympathise with you re the dog, mine also ran into my knee, fortunately it was braced at the time, she weighs in at 45kgs (99lbs), the good news is it caused no further damage unlike your incident!!

I had my first physio today, money well spent, the guy seems to know his stuff, has seen the injury before, and reckons I should have enough movement to sit properly with knee bent in 4 weeks time, after 8 sessions....we will see!!

Still a damn sin that the NHS still hasn't been in touch re my physio, 5 weeks after my consultant contacted them! You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
Short update:
Now 20 weeks post op and progress is really slow. ROM is a mere 52%, ongoing physio but have started to see small signs of improvement.

I didnt think that progress would be this slow, but I guess it needs time to repair properly and it shouldnt be rushed.

One thing that did surprise me was the muscle wastage in my calf on the damaged side, its nearly 2 inches less, something else we are working on now.

Pain has come back too, but I put that down to doing the exercises....thank god for ice packs and painkillers!

Anyone know how to send a PM? Im struggling to send one in reply to one I received.

Thanks

Frank

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
Hi Frank

Click onto profile and this shows  send pm

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Tells me I'm not allowed to send...ah well

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi Frank

That's because you haven't yet got the 20 posts under your belt that you need to be able to send PMs.

If you reply to this that will add 1 and you can go onto the quizzes, games and fun contests section at the very bottom of the index and build up your posts there. 

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
Thanks Sella.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
You're welcome, Frank.  Do you still have a problem with swelling?

Is your ongoing physio with the NHS therapist or the private one? 

I'm interested in your experiences with both as I've been disappointed in the NHS physiotherapy service.  Appointments seem to be short and sweet, with the emphasis on the short.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
Hi Sella,

My swelling has gone from the centre of the knee down, its still a little swollen around the knee and above. If I'm active, and by that I mean short walk with dog or doing some hoovering say, I lose all ROM in my knee until its rested and iced, about an hour or so and its back to "normal".

I'm using a private physio, the NHS sent me a letter saying I was getting close to the top of the waiting list by which time I'd already started. I have little faith in the NHS to be honest, not their fault but lack of funding I'm sure.

What I have realised though is that there is no miracle cure, its just going to be a long road. My physio has got more ROM into my knee but its "painfully" slow progress.

On a side issue re the NHS physio service my wife was sent via her GP, rang the number given and spoke to a call centre, answered some questions and was referred to a website showing some exercises to do! She is now using the same private PT as me.

Good luck

Frank

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Frank, I think you and your wife are being wise.  I'm seeing an NHS physiotherapist but she isn't hands on at all.  My first appointment was all about taking notes, though she did check that I was walking properly on my crutches and she told me to work on bending my knee, but didn't examine the knee.  The second appointment lasted less than 10 minutes and I was told to do quad sets to increase strength.  The emphasis seems to be on advice rather than treatment.

I do know a couple of physios and one of them suggested I massage my knee to reduce the swelling using small circular movements going towards the back of the knee where there are lymph nodes, and also massaging upwards.  Has your private physio done this with you?  I've found it helps ease the ache in my knee, and I follow it up with an ice pack, then sleep on my back with my feet up on pillows.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Sellla, my physio is very hands on and has been from day 1.

I get acupuncture, tens, ultrasound and laser followed by stretching, bending & strengthening exercises and finished off with massage, sometimes its fairly gentle others brutal! I'm usually there about an hour and a quarter and I'm charged 35 which to be honest I don't think is too bad.

As for sleep, I cant sleep on my back very well, which was a nuisance immediately post op due to the 14 ton weight wrapped around my leg! I do manage quite nicely on my side as long as my legs are not directly on top of each other due to that metal adjuster hinge thing on the brace. (The brace I only wear now at night)

I ice whenever the swelling gets up, which is usually after any exercises or lengthy walking. I do need to get more anti inflammatory pills though, I stopped diclofenac after it received such a bad press recently, its just finding time (and someone to take me) to get to the docs for a new prescription

Frank

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
I think you've got an absolute bargain there, Frank.  Very reasonable indeed.

Although you're paying for it you're getting a lot more than you would on the NHS.  Even though your progress is slow, at least you're going forward.

Keep right on to the end of the road, as they say.

Sella

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
Thought I would pop an update on.

Was at physio today, reckons that the scar tissue is causing my non bending issues, may have to have a minor procedure to cut it out, we will see as am back at hospital on the 16th.

Anyone know of this issue?

Thanks

Frank

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »
There's been some discussion of this on the ruptured patellar tendon thread, Frank.  I've certainly been aware of it.  I mentioned it to my NHS physio and she said that keeping my knee moving would help prevent it building up.  Since you've had trouble bending your knee that might have caused it to build up - and so you can't bend your knee.  It's a Catch 22 situation.

If you do a search for scar tissue you'll find details of people's experiences that will, I think, be helpful.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Thanks Sella,

What a minefield....it appears from what I am reading that I do indeed have a scar tissue issue its backed up by the fact that no matter what PT I am doing my ROM is not improving, and 55 degrees after 6 months is definitely not where I should be. I now hope that whoever I see next Wednesday knows what they are talking about

Times like this I wish I had paid up private health, then I could research and pick an OS.

Fingers crossed time for next week!!

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
Well I wonder if that was all a waste of time!

Registrar (not even worthy of a consultant now), thinks the tendon isn't stretchy enough and that I need intensive physio (on the NHS)...I feel like I'm screwed.

Appointment on 6th November and I can insist to actually see the surgeon who did my op (and that will be the first time I will have seen her since the op).

Lets what happens first, physio or appointment under the NHS!!!

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
Frank, I wouldn't count on the NHS physiotherapist solving your problem.  I'm now seeing a private physiotherapist because I get 10 minutes a fortnight on the NHS and it's very basic - nothing like what you're getting privately.  If physiotherapy to stretch the tendon was going to solve your problems I think you'd be further on by now.  What does your private physiotherapist think?

Where are you in the UK?  I think that even on the NHS you can ask for a second opinion.  Do some research into arthrofibrosis and discuss this with your existing physio.  I did hesitate to suggest this before, as it's a worrying condition, but I know you're already worrying and I think the suggestion of the tendon not being stretchy enough is unlikely.  There is someone on these boards who had physiotherapy for arthrofibrosis that worked - once the physio knew what she was dealing with - so all is not lost.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
Hi Sella,

You're really mirroring my thoughts I think, the registrar chappie said I should be getting 3-4 sessions a week (I laughed). My physio's thoughts were scar tissue causing the non-bendiness (is that word?). I will do the research on arthrofibrosis and speak with John my physio, see what he thinks, it may well come down to he knows what he is talking about, he spends time with injured people where the Drs spend 5 minutes with you only.

I'm demanding to see my surgeon on the 6th Nov, and will take it all up with her, if I get no satisfaction I will be heading for a second opinion.

I'm in Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Its not depressing but I am getting pee'd off with my inactivity, even the short walks with my pooch cause serious stiffness and reduces the bend o about 10%,  where I need to ice immediately I get home.

I know its a serious injury and I know that rehab can take time, but this is just getting silly!

Catch you all soon....back to the interesting telly! (not)

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
Frank, do you have one of those floor pedallers?  I got mine from ebay.  You can use it to work your arms, so at least part of you is moving, and if you can't go all the way round with your feet you can go back and forwards.

I've now progressed to my exercise bike and I went on it before I went to NHS physiotherapy today.  Trouble was I then couldn't do a straight leg raise as my leg was so stiff, so I know what you mean.  If I really work my leg it stiffens up and just stops working, though I am able to sit normally so a lot of the bend has come back.  It's the strength I need to work on now.  My stamina is rubbish.

I was born and brought up in Lanarkshire but I now live in exile in England!

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
Hi Sella,

I hadn't thought about a floor pedaller, not 100% sure what one is, will have to look it up. I am desperate to start exercising properly, my waist line isnt where it should be with all this inactivity.

No matter what I do my leg raises are strong, so that tells me my quad is good and the repair is working as it should. In a resistance test done by the doc the other day he also confirmed the quad is nice and strong (at least something is positive)

I'm having a good day today I was quite down for some reason yesterday (the rain didn't help!) I am normally a positive person, and I know things will get better in due course just need a wee drop of patience.

I have done the opposite to you, Im from Yorkshire and moved up here a couple of years ago, living in the Clyde Valley, its lovely (and cold).

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »
Frank, a floor pedaller is like a mini bike, you sit on your chair with the machine in front of you and work the pedals with your feet, or you can put it on a table and use your hands.  If you go on amazon and search for "pedal exerciser" you'll see what I mean.  I've also been doing some upper body work.

At private physiotherapy today I was put on a machine to reduce the swelling in my knee.  This is what's been causing me problems with function.  What a difference.  My knee looked much more like a normal knee.  It felt funny when I came off it but I was walking much better.  I also practised coming down stairs normally - that still needs work!

Glad to hear your feeling better.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Hi Sella,

tell me a bit more about this machine you were on.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
Frank, I'd never seen anything like it in my online research so I asked what it was called and the name I remember is Inferential.  I've Googled and come up with Inferential Therapy.  I had a pad either side of my kneecap and dials were turned until I felt as much tingling as I could stand.

I've been asked to try and not let it get swollen, but that's easier said than done.  I deliberately didn't go on my exercise bike before I went to physio today but the therapist noticed it was quite swollen and that the swelling was holding me back in terms of what I could do.  I'm going to step up my knee massages to try and keep it down.  I know that post surgical swelling can go on for a very long time and when it's around the knee it seems to really affect how I function.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Sella, at first I thought it was like TENS, but I see its a bit similar but the pulses per second are vastly different (150 against 8000). The interferential machine looks like it gives a longer pain relief than TENS, see the article I found here:

]http://www.medfaxxinc.com/index.php?/Articles/the-infrex-plus-offers-the-choice-of-tens-or-an-interferential-treatment-when-needed-wherever-needed-without-going-to-a-pain-clinic-or-doctor-office.html]

I found an ice pack for just over 3 quid that can also be a heat pad, the icing helps my swelling a lot when Ive been a little active.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:37:38 PM by Frank550 »

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
wow, appointment arrived yesterday for 31st Oct for first physio session under nhs, with a msk specialist (sic) my very first question will be....how many ruptured quad tendons have you seen/treated?

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
Frank, my Physio is treating three right now, all with very different outcomes; seem to be dependent largely on speed of diagnosi, surgery, and start of Physio !
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »
Update

Today I saw my surgeon, and she has decided that my first physio was correct and the lack of ROM is due to scar tissue, so she will reopen the knee and perform a release (oh joy)

I will then have use of a cpm machine (if they can find one - the hospital had theirs removed for some reason)

Pencilled in for surgery next week....watch this space!

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Frank, very best wishes for next week's surgery.  Once it's done get your private physio working on your knee.  I've had mine manipulating my knee today but the NHS physio doesn't move my kneecap at all.  She's very hands off.  I think the more movement you can get, whether it's CPM, massage or just walking about, the better.

I was on the interferential machine again today.  It isn't used for pain relief but to help with swelling.  Like you I've been icing my leg but the swelling is slowly going down.  I'm back at work now, part time so I'm feeling tired more.

Stuart, you mention three very different outcomes among the people your physio is treating.  I'm very impressed by the progress you're making with the more aggressive approach that's taken in North America.  How are the others getting on?  Are any of them struggling?

Sella

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
Sella, Fishy here.  I have progressed slow and steady for 22 weeks.  9 weeks wearing braces, rom 135 both legs now, slight pain standing and sitting (using quads only).  Knee doesn't swell now but loose skin from loss of tightness from regular exercise...I gotta hit the gym!  Up/down stairs still make me "worried" so I hug the railing.  Living in Alaska I have to concern myself with icy walking conditions but I will contend with that by wearing special clamp on spikey slip on contraptions (that are a mess to wear, but worth the effort...}.
Frank, my prayers go out to you and I definitely will be awaiting results from you.  Remember, patience BUT ask a million questions and be proactive, not reactive. 

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks guys for your support, this really is a great resource for us knee sufferers!!

Its very strange just waiting for a phone call to go under the knife. I am not looking forward to this I must admit, I was hoping that this would be done arthroscopically not the full open knee surgery, but I dont get the choice!

My thoughts are that I will be icing a lot to keep the heat and swelling down, teaching my wife how to manipulate the knee cap, and make sure that I keep the knee moving without being over aggressive with it, I don't want the scar tissue to return as bad as it is now.

I have aims and goals that I want to achieve, the first of which is driving again, I've missed it so much, and I hate relying on everyone else to get me about or fetch things for me.

Fishy thats great you have 135 degrees both legs, that must be nearly max flexion for you...well done!!!

Sella, great that youre back working, just dont overdo it!

All the best

Frank

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »
Sella. Due to our Privacy Laws my PT has not been able to discuss other patients particulars, but I have gleaned some information. The Gentleman injured on the same weekend as I had to wait 4 days for surgery, by which time I was already back at work. Being self employed with high overhead expenses is a great motivating factor! My weak wrists which forced me to abandon my crutches within the first week also forced me onto my feet before I had even seen my PT.Given the fact he was injured at a local Sports facility I have to conclude he is reasonably active, but apparently his recovery has not been as rapid as mine.
   The third member of our "Club" is a72 year old lady who apparently walked( hobbled) into the Emergency room of her Hospital 2 days after her fall. This may have contributed to the attending Physician not even taking her seriously enough to remove her sweat-pants to examine her knee properly before sending her home. It was almost 2weeks later that her injury was properly diagnosed. This does indicate that no one jurisdiction is inherently superior and is why I daily thank my lucky stars that they fell into alignment the way they did!
  That she, not surprisingly, is not recovering as well as I is suggested by the fact that she apparently " went bananas" when she heard that I had done The Grind at 6 weeks post-op!
  My heart goes out to her.
When all is said and done there were 4 factors that I feel contributed to my speedy progress

1- rapid diagnosis and surgery (15 hours from accident to OR).

2- being ( though I say it myself) extremely fit for my age. 65.

3- not experiencing  ANY pain, pre or post-op, so no pain killers, allowing a rapid return to work giving me something to focus on.

4- my use of exercise to combat my Clinical Depression ! This may seem odd but I was willing to take
Whatever measures were necessary, regardless of risks, to regain my level of activity. My PT, whom I have known for 25 years utilized this drive!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
Stuart,

Its a shame you cant bottle and sell what you have. It appears that lady luck sits in your corner and that is great.

The other 2 cases are probably progressing at speeds considered to be normal I guess.

Take care

Frank

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
Good mornig folks,

Has anyone else had issues with their "good" knee?

The past couple of weeks I have redeveloped a bakers cyst on my good knee and to be honest with regards to pain/discomfort its probably worse than my operated on knee!

I put this down to the extra strain the knee has had to endure of the last few months.

Has anyone had use of a cpm machine? My OS has said i will be using one once she has released the scar tissue, and will be staying in the hospital for a few days whilst I use the machine. Plus I am assuming there will be some extra PT from the ward physios.

Frosty outside this morning, I need to go out too... extra care needed!

stay safe everyone and happy rehabbing!

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
Frank. With you on the "good" knee. Mine too is more uncomfortable than the damaged one. Had my Chiropractor check it out and he says it's fine, but definitely feeling the strain!
   Heard from my OS and sent him a long e-mail filled with questions. Have to see if he responds.
Be careful all as the adverse weather approaches!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »
My good knee also started to feel the strain, especially when I was coming down stairs.  I've been taking Glucosamine and fish oil and it has improved.

support