Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: damage to quad tendon  (Read 8985 times)

Offline ppcmmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
damage to quad tendon
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee. About 3 weeks ago my 100lb dog slammed into my leg, within 2 hrs the pain was so intense I couldn't squat or kneel. The area above my kneecap was ans is extremely tender to the touch. I was supposed to see my orthopedist about the pain but the night before my appointment my husband hurt is foot at work and ended up stealing my appointmemt. (Nice right) well I had an mri and the report shows partial acl teat with cyst in acl. I also have a torn lateral meniscus which was previously repaired. 8 uave another week amd a half until I see my ortho.
It hurts to stand up or sit down as well as up and down stairs. The pain runs straight across the top of ky knee region and can be achy or sharp and burning. Also I have pain directly on my kneecap on the upper outside of it. I can barely tolerate the pain and cant help but wonder if I could have torn the quad tendon. What do you think?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: damage to quad tendon
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »
Hi ppcmmama

There is no thinking to be done - it`s a case of straight down to see either your doctor or an Orthopaedic Consultant and assume that a MRI will indicate the actual cause of the problem area. Do not delay as this could cause more damage.

I am attaching a set of documents compiled over a number of years, which highlights A ruptured Patella Tendon or A Ruptured Quadricep Tendon and explains in detail the rehab process which is lenghthy.

Don`t delay seeing the Consultant

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:52 AM »
Good morning all, have been reading bits on this site and find it very interesting.

My story: I am a 52 yr old, now inactive male, due to arthritis issues, and took a fall on a grassy slope, whisked off to a&e and after an xray diagnosed with a quad tendon rupture. Was sent home with an appt to revisit fracture clinic and scan confirmed a total separation from the patella. I was operated on the following day and told by OS that the op was a success in her eyes.

The op was April 19th, my last appt was June 13th and I go back Aug 7th. I read with interest that nearly everyone gets a decent ROM fairly soon, but at best I get maybe 30 or 40 degrees, and then only when the knee is well rested, if I undertake any work on the knee it swells and I get near 0 ROM. I have a brace fitted at 60 degree max but never get anywhere near that range. On my last appt I was told to do some leg raise exercises, they were difficult initially but I can manage these fairly easily now, but they get painful after doing maybe 5 or 6.

The Doc was sending me to physio, and I am still awaiting that appt (the NHS works at a v slow pace) so I am seeing a private physio this Thursday, hopefully the guy will know his stuff, hes been involved in pro football 25 years!!

I still have a large amount of swelling, that concerns me, along with the lack of ROM or am I worrying unduly after 3 months?

Thanks for reading, its passed some time for me, and my insomnia!!
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Hi Frank550

Welcome to the RQT web page - read with care - you have sustained a very serious injury, with a long rehab.

I have emailed you a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - Ask questions - keep posting - where do you live?

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
First I must apologise for hijacking the thread, to ppcmmama, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. I certainly can sympathise with you re the dog, mine also ran into my knee, fortunately it was braced at the time, she weighs in at 45kgs (99lbs), the good news is it caused no further damage unlike your incident!!

I had my first physio today, money well spent, the guy seems to know his stuff, has seen the injury before, and reckons I should have enough movement to sit properly with knee bent in 4 weeks time, after 8 sessions....we will see!!

Still a damn sin that the NHS still hasn't been in touch re my physio, 5 weeks after my consultant contacted them! You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
Short update:
Now 20 weeks post op and progress is really slow. ROM is a mere 52%, ongoing physio but have started to see small signs of improvement.

I didnt think that progress would be this slow, but I guess it needs time to repair properly and it shouldnt be rushed.

One thing that did surprise me was the muscle wastage in my calf on the damaged side, its nearly 2 inches less, something else we are working on now.

Pain has come back too, but I put that down to doing the exercises....thank god for ice packs and painkillers!

Anyone know how to send a PM? Im struggling to send one in reply to one I received.

Thanks

Frank

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
Hi Frank

Click onto profile and this shows  send pm

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Tells me I'm not allowed to send...ah well

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi Frank

That's because you haven't yet got the 20 posts under your belt that you need to be able to send PMs.

If you reply to this that will add 1 and you can go onto the quizzes, games and fun contests section at the very bottom of the index and build up your posts there. 

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
Thanks Sella.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
You're welcome, Frank.  Do you still have a problem with swelling?

Is your ongoing physio with the NHS therapist or the private one? 

I'm interested in your experiences with both as I've been disappointed in the NHS physiotherapy service.  Appointments seem to be short and sweet, with the emphasis on the short.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
Hi Sella,

My swelling has gone from the centre of the knee down, its still a little swollen around the knee and above. If I'm active, and by that I mean short walk with dog or doing some hoovering say, I lose all ROM in my knee until its rested and iced, about an hour or so and its back to "normal".

I'm using a private physio, the NHS sent me a letter saying I was getting close to the top of the waiting list by which time I'd already started. I have little faith in the NHS to be honest, not their fault but lack of funding I'm sure.

What I have realised though is that there is no miracle cure, its just going to be a long road. My physio has got more ROM into my knee but its "painfully" slow progress.

On a side issue re the NHS physio service my wife was sent via her GP, rang the number given and spoke to a call centre, answered some questions and was referred to a website showing some exercises to do! She is now using the same private PT as me.

Good luck

Frank

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Frank, I think you and your wife are being wise.  I'm seeing an NHS physiotherapist but she isn't hands on at all.  My first appointment was all about taking notes, though she did check that I was walking properly on my crutches and she told me to work on bending my knee, but didn't examine the knee.  The second appointment lasted less than 10 minutes and I was told to do quad sets to increase strength.  The emphasis seems to be on advice rather than treatment.

I do know a couple of physios and one of them suggested I massage my knee to reduce the swelling using small circular movements going towards the back of the knee where there are lymph nodes, and also massaging upwards.  Has your private physio done this with you?  I've found it helps ease the ache in my knee, and I follow it up with an ice pack, then sleep on my back with my feet up on pillows.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Sellla, my physio is very hands on and has been from day 1.

I get acupuncture, tens, ultrasound and laser followed by stretching, bending & strengthening exercises and finished off with massage, sometimes its fairly gentle others brutal! I'm usually there about an hour and a quarter and I'm charged 35 which to be honest I don't think is too bad.

As for sleep, I cant sleep on my back very well, which was a nuisance immediately post op due to the 14 ton weight wrapped around my leg! I do manage quite nicely on my side as long as my legs are not directly on top of each other due to that metal adjuster hinge thing on the brace. (The brace I only wear now at night)

I ice whenever the swelling gets up, which is usually after any exercises or lengthy walking. I do need to get more anti inflammatory pills though, I stopped diclofenac after it received such a bad press recently, its just finding time (and someone to take me) to get to the docs for a new prescription

Frank

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
I think you've got an absolute bargain there, Frank.  Very reasonable indeed.

Although you're paying for it you're getting a lot more than you would on the NHS.  Even though your progress is slow, at least you're going forward.

Keep right on to the end of the road, as they say.

Sella

support