Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured patella... recovery and rehab  (Read 440 times)

Offline m0rph3us

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured patella... recovery and rehab
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »
So, I fractured my patella playing hockey last Saturday.  When I say I fractured, it was actually courtesy of someone whacking it with a stick, giving me a nice compound fracture.  Grr.

Anyway, that resulted in me getting a displaced lower pole compound fracture.  Joy.  I had surgery last Sunday to wire the kneecap back together and reattach the patella tendon.  So no more hockey for the season for me and also no snowboarding, which sucks because we've had the best start to the season in living memory down here in NZ.  And a lovely knee brace (currently at 10 degrees).

So far a week in, I am pretty ninja on the crutches, going in to the hospital on Friday to get the stitches out.  The pain has been pretty manageable so far.

I'm 32, male, very fit and healthy, no previous injuries or anything, just wondering what to expect in terms of rehab etc. (and yes I am sure it is probably different for everyone).  They did mention stuff when I was discharged from the hospital but to be honest, I was a bit overloaded and a lot of it flew over my head.   ::)