Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL, MCL, MPFL tears + breaks  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Givney42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL, MCL, MPFL tears + breaks
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »
This is my first post and so I hope it is in the correct place.  I was in a motorcycle accident where I had to lay my bike/sidecar down which in turn landed on my left knee. Was taken to hospital where multiple breaks of fibula and tibia were found. Was braced, told to RICE, and see doc in 2 wks. Did so, doc still didn't do anything even though everything was pointing to soft tissue damage (Swelling like stuck pig). Begged for MRI, got one. Found ACL, MCL and MPFL all torn level 3 for each. No damage to meniscus. Doc said he can't do anything so is sending me to a different doc. Will be seeing new doc on Monday, july 1. Questions...with broken bones and tears do surgeons normally wait to do reconstructive work till bones heal? w/level 3 MCL is surgery necessary since from what I can find it is not normally orthoscopic in nature. Can the MPFL heal w/out surgery? For those who have had surgery, which was worse, pain before surgery or after. Reason for asking is that I cannot take usual pain medications. I've been taking ibuprofen only as opioid pain meds cause a paradoxical reaction (they make the pain worse).
I do live alone and don't have any family to help. I live in a condo with stairs to get to my unit and it has been challenging at best. ANY words of wisdom or support are greatly appreciated. This whole thing is scary and am thankful I found this group who may be able to not make is so lonely out there for me.

Thank you,
Kim
2/6/13 Motorcycle accident
Torn ACL, MCL, MPFL, multiple fractures of Tibia and fibula at knee.

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: ACL, MCL, MPFL tears + breaks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
Hi Kim,
Yes, you've come to the right place. I haven't been on here in a while and figured I'd check up on everyone. I too was in a motorcycle accident in march of 2012, dirt bike crash, tore my ACL, PCL and MCL. Had my surgery in may of 2012, rebuilt my knee with cadaver parts. My Doc told me it would be a good solid year recovery. I was making great progress until it seemed I came to a stalemate. Went to the Doc and he told me my MCL, where most of my damage was never healed and due to that my kneecap doesn't track properly. I'm going in come fall for another surgery to redo my MCL and anchor my kneecap over, another 6 months of recovery, woohoo!!!  Right now, I'm able to walk with a brace, ride bicycles and work, I have a lawn business, which is why I'm waiting till fall to do my surgery.
My words of advice are is keep a positive attitude and listen to the docs and therapists. I'm not going to lie to you, it sucks at times but it does get better. I didn't have any broken bones with mine but I think they usually do wait till those are healed before working on the knee. The pain, I took all the meds I was prescribed and I still take ibuprofen and Tylenol.  You'll get through this, a lot have. If you need anything, just let me know. John
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline Givney42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Thank you John. The pain I can deal with even without meds. I've learned over the years that pain meds don't help me so I just push through it. I'm trying to keep my spirits up but it is a challenge. I had just lost my mom 3 months before my accident and no with having to be out of work due to this injury is tough. All my financial resources went to help her and my dad and I didn't have a chance to build up my back up funds.

The insurance company is trying to shaft me for the bike/sidecar. I don't want to "lawyer up" but am afraid I'm going to have to just to get a fair price.

I keep doing all the PT exercises and I see it is helping.  So I try to focus on that. But it is really challenging at times.

Kim
2/6/13 Motorcycle accident
Torn ACL, MCL, MPFL, multiple fractures of Tibia and fibula at knee.

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:26 AM »
Hi Kim, sorry to hear of your financial burden on top of your injury. I'm very fortunate and feel almost guilty sometimes because I have very good insurance. It's ashame people have to worry about such things. I hope everything works out for the best for you. Keep your head up and don't ever stop fighting. John
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

support