Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bicycle accident  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Janetfl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bicycle accident
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »
hi,

I had a bicycle accident a week ago after my tire caught a stone on the path. I walk and ride 5-8 miles daily.

The area below my knee cap has an inch square graze and swelled to the size of my knee cap. There is also a lump at the top of the tibia. Bruising now covers the entire front surface of the knee area - 8" high by 7" across. It is still very swollen.

x-ray said "swelling of the patella tendon inferiorly but no evidence for rupture. This is likely the hematoma in the tendon at the level of the tibial tubercle. No fractures or dislocations."

I was told to ice for a couple of days and to do nothing else. But, it is still as painful as when I fell.

1. the scab sits on an area that moves so gets pulled all the time, including when I sleep. It is so painful that it wakes me up throughout the night.

2. there is still a deep pain below the knee cap. If I stand it really aches, and I cannot bend the knee without strong pain. It is more painful than a broken ankle I had a couple of years ago.

I keep it elevated and stand as little as possible, but I am not sure what I should do now? Should I go to my doctor for more tests, or a referral to who?

I can't sit on my sofa for the rest of my life...

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Janet

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Bicycle accident
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »
you're probably going to have to rest it, but if you want to push the issue, you can ask your gp to send you for an mri and check for a patella tendon tear, and refer you to an orthopedic doc for follow up. they'll order an mri anyway, so if you get it first, it saves you a step.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.