Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post-ACL patellar tendonitis - patella graft  (Read 553 times)

Offline rbirchard54

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post-ACL patellar tendonitis - patella graft
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
Hi, guys.

I'm a 25 year old male - 6'2", 235 lbs.  I've always been an athlete - I was a three sport athlete in high school and have been playing high level ultimate frisbee (movements very similar to a mixture of soccer and basketball) throughout my college and graduate school years.  I had ACL reconstruction using a patellar autograft on my right knee when I was 16 (9 years ago) and was cleared to play sports after 5 months.  I never had any kind of problem after that surgery and felt like I could have returned to play much earlier than my surgeon would allow me to.

That's why the surgery I recently had has got me so worried.  I had ACL reconstruction with a patellar autograft on my left knee in October of 2012 (8 months ago).  Since then, my knee has consistently felt stiff even though I was cleared to return to playing 5.5 months after surgery.  Admittedly, I was a bit stubborn about telling my physical therapist and surgeon about any pain that I was having because I wanted to play ASAP, but the pain has reached a point where I can't play anyway.

The knee feels solid - I can cut off of it with no instability at all, so I don't think that there's any problem with the actual reconstructed ACL.  The problem that I'm having is that I've got significant pain coming from the front of my knee.  I assume that it's just patellar tendonitis at the harvest site of the graft, but it's more acute than any other tendonitis that I've ever had.  I went back to my surgeon, but all he did was tell me what I already thought and give me a prescription to go back to physical therapy (my physical therapist has been of little or no help throughout the entire rehabilitation process).

With all of that said, I guess I've got a few questions:

(1) Is there a good site with patellar tendonitis rehabilitation workouts?  I'd like to be able to cut my therapist out of the process as much as possible, so any site with detailed workout protocols would be great.

(2) Am I running the risk of hurting myself further if I keep playing on this?  We're right in the middle of our club season, so taking time off would mean essentially giving up my spot in the starting lineup and calling the season a loss.

(3) Would taking time off to rest the knee even help?  If the tendonitis is due to an underdeveloped quad post-surgery, wouldn't taking time off exacerbate the problem by allowing the quad to atrophy even further?

I know this has been long, but I figured I'd give you guys all of the information that I have to make it as easy as possible for you all to help me.  I really, really appreciate any kind of advice that anyone could throw my way.

Thanks a ton,
Ryan

support