Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson - recovery time  (Read 668 times)

Offline Alva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson - recovery time
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
Hi all,

I spent a couple of hours reading through posts last night on Fulkerson procedures trying to get a better idea on recovery time. After being on a 2 year waiting list I'm having the operation performed on Thursday in Toronto. My pre-op nurse told me everyone is different as far as recovery time and they really won't know until everything is complete but my surgeons nurse said 11 days on crutches and 30 days in the immobilizer brace. That crutches time seems way too short!

I guess I'm trying to gauge how long I can expect to be on crutches, how long until I can put weight on it, how long until I start PT and how long I'll be off work (I work a desk job in IT). This will be my 13th knee op ranging from simple scopes to Hausers and I've always recovered quickly but I was a lot younger then with the majority of surgeries when I was in my 20's and early 30's. I'm 46 now and I have a ton of sick/vacation time banked so I'm not rushing back.

Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: Fulkerson - recovery time
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »
Every surgeon has different protocols for this surgery, so rehab does really vary for everyone.  At first my OS said about 10 days on crutches, but 6 weeks in the immobilizer.  After surgery that changed so I ended up being on crutches for 4 weeks, and immobilizer for 7 weeks.  My OS down played the surgery a little bit (I think so I wouldn't freak out), so everything was different after surgery. 

I've talked to people who were on crutches for a few days and others who have been on them for 6 weeks.  If your OS doesn't give you specific instructions in the post op packet (you should get one before being discharged from the hospital) then you can really get rid of crutches whenever you can tolerate it.  But def ask your OS before leaving the hospital if he has any instructions. 

Good luck!
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline Alva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Schnops.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens and see how it plays out. I last saw the OS almost 18 months ago and was put on a waiting list, they called 2 weeks ago and asked if I wanted to have it done on the 27th hence why I am kind of clueless about details of the surgery.

From what I've been reading I've had worse ops as far as recovery time and PS but again I was a younger man :)

Thanks again,

Chris

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:34 AM »
The fact is that your bone can fracture even six months following Fulkerson (or similar), hence why no serious experienced OS out there will allow you to walk early in the process (bone can easily fracture). Six weeks is standard on crutches, six weeks in full brace too, but the main concern is that the pain is so so bad that you will not even care getting up and around for quite a while. As Schnops said, OS always minimize the postop, which is unfair but a reality. Also, Schnops seems to have an amazingly quick recovery if compared to mine, but he also seems to be extremely young and I am 42... That along with how bad your knee is (mine is bone on bone), will affect your recovery. I had my surgery early February, and I am still very stiff, in pain and can't go down stairs normally nor do any exercise such as elliptical. And I need to do the other knee too, plus probably PRP or further treatment. BTW, my PT still tells me that he is impressed with my recovery.... Good luck and keep,in touch !!!!
Fell right on knee cap in 1991-1992.
2012 diagnosis of patellar mal-tracking in both knees. Partly genetic.
2012 diagnosis of chondromalacia patella grade IV in right leg
6th of February 2013, TTT Fulkerson surgery and LR, right leg