Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Repair ACL Tear  (Read 713 times)

Offline Pablo89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Repair ACL Tear
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
Hi,

My name is Pablo and Im new to the forum. Im 23 and usually go gym 5 times a week play football 3 times a week and tennis once. I usually go out clubbing at the weekends... well I did until I injured my knee playing football.

I have recently had a Meniscus repair on the inside of my leg (03/06/2013). Im on crutches for another 2 weeks I was originally instructed to non weight bear for 6 weeks, I have a ACL reconstruction book for Mid August. My knee is still swollen is this normal? I cant fully straighten my knee either, I have been having Physio every 2 weeks.

Im just after some advice if possible.

What graft is best for the ACL Reconstruction. I want to get to back playing football and going gym ASAP.

Im currently very bored and getting a bit bored of being in the house. Will I be allowed to go nightclubbin before my ACL reconstruction, I have a hinged knee brace which I have wear until August.

When will I be allowed to return to the gym after my ACL surgery and when will I be allowed to go nightclubbing/jog/go gym.

When will I be allowed to fly after ACL surgery

Many Thanks.

Offline johnama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus Repair ACL Tear
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
Hi Pablo89,

I am new to this whole knee injury thing but I will try and answer your question as best I can.  8 days ago I had my ACL done with my own hamstring and my medial meniscus repaired.  I will be on crutches for 5 more weeks, 6 weeks total.  From talking to other people and what my doctor has told me, when you get your ACL repaired, the time on crutches is MUCH shorter, like a week.  Getting stitches in the meniscus is what causes the long time on crutches.  I've heard of people flying the day after thier surgery, but this was only because they have to.  Most doctors recomend three weeks due to possibility of bloodclots.  As for the ACL, my doctor wanted to use my own hamstring because of my age (25) and fitness level (pretty good shape).

The best advice I can give you (and from what others told me) don't rush getting back into heavy sports.  If you get back too early, you are just going to have to have surgery again.  I had to cancel several vacations and sit out of fall soccer and maybe some skiing, but I figure that having a knee that works outweighs a couple of months of sports.

Hope I helped!  Good luck in your surgery.

support