Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ROM questions, 12 weeks post-op. Anyone?  (Read 840 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
ROM questions, 12 weeks post-op. Anyone?
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
I have one more question for you all. I've searched on here a bit too.

I am 12 weeks post op from a TTO/Fulkerson and a few other procedures (lateral release, medial reefing, chondroplasty, menisectomy). I'm feeling stuck in my ROM. I was 90 degrees when I got out of my immoblizer around 6-7 weeks. I can get up to 115 with PT pushing it a bit for me. When I try at home I just feel stuck at 90 degrees flexion. Should I be concerned at 12 weeks post-op? I go to PT, do exercises at home and I am always running around taking my kids places and running errands so I'm not sitting much. My knee is very stiff and still has some pain and swelling. I'm wondering if I have scar tissue blocking my flexion? I can get to 0 extension but my other knee is hyperextended. I did just leave a msg for my OS so hopefully they call me back tomorrow.

Thanks for any info! If I'm just getting impatient you can tell me that too ;).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:16:54 AM by JessJess28 »
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Re: ROM questions, 12 weeks post-op. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Anyone have any advice? OS office still has not called me back. I've searched the Rehab section some and the Arthofibrosis info. Hopefully my Physical Therapist can answer some of my questions tomorrow when I go in.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:58:44 AM »
I'm 8 weeks post-op and ended up having to have a scope & MUA...I am NOT suggesting you have to do that.  I actually had a nice ball of scar tissue slowing me up and OS didn't feel like I was going to get past it.  I was stuck at 60 for 4 weeks.  By the way, thank you for your posts to me when I was about a week out.  I really appreciated the encouragement.

On that note, I have talked to many and I have heard a variety of stories.  The one thing I have heard though is that after time (sometimes a long time)...we all end up with a good amount of ROM.  I now alternate between about 5 different ROM exercises and it seems to be helping a lot.

Hope that ROM improves for you soon.

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
I'm 8 weeks post-op and ended up having to have a scope & MUA...I am NOT suggesting you have to do that.  I actually had a nice ball of scar tissue slowing me up and OS didn't feel like I was going to get past it.  I was stuck at 60 for 4 weeks.  By the way, thank you for your posts to me when I was about a week out.  I really appreciated the encouragement.

On that note, I have talked to many and I have heard a variety of stories.  The one thing I have heard though is that after time (sometimes a long time)...we all end up with a good amount of ROM.  I now alternate between about 5 different ROM exercises and it seems to be helping a lot.

Hope that ROM improves for you soon.

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »
Thanks gottarun13! And you're welcome re: advice etc I gave you before. Hope you are feeling better from your scope and MUA.

I talked to both my PT and OS yesterday and today. PT said I still have room to flex and I'm not "stuck" yet. I spent a lot of time at PT yesterday and during the manual therapy and stretching I really tried to relax into it. I gained another 5 degrees in ROM (up to 120 now) so I was feeling awesome when I left there :).

OS office said they can call in a Flexion chair for me to use at home if I want. Unfortunately, my INS sucks and I would probably have to pay for all of it out of pocket.

I think I'm just going to have to keep fighting it on my own and really work on my ROM. Just getting frustrated and impatient but at least my PT reassured me so I'm feeling more positive about it. I know this surgery is a major one and it takes a lot of time, patience and good attitude so one day at a time :).
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »
Hi Jess,
As you may remember, I am now at five months post op and my knee is still stiff, cannot bend more than a certain angle, to the point that I still cannot go up or down stairs using my two legs normally.... I still go one leg at the time, like toddlers.... And this s five months ! I also tried today to use the elliptical, but there is absolutely no way I can achieve this.... This is so long, especially considering that I have to do the other knee in six months ! I also feel discouraged. My knee is bad I agree, (chondromalacia grade 4), but still... Be strong mommy !
Fell right on knee cap in 1991-1992.
2012 diagnosis of patellar mal-tracking in both knees. Partly genetic.
2012 diagnosis of chondromalacia patella grade IV in right leg
6th of February 2013, TTT Fulkerson surgery and LR, right leg