Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scope with MUA - 7 weeks post ACL w/ham  (Read 2973 times)

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Scope with MUA - 7 weeks post ACL w/ham
« on: June 21, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »
Has anyone had manipulation under anesthesia?  Mine was Tuesday.  Scoped out some scar tissue and got  100% ROM.  Yesterday was pretty easy.  Today I feel like I'm fighting hard to get to 100 degrees.  Swollen, tired....

Is this normal?  Anyone else had this? If so what was your experience with it?

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Re: Scope with MUA - 7 weeks post ACL w/ham
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
I haven't had a MUA (or ACL repair) but was just curious as to what symptoms you had prior to the MUA. I feel so stiff in my knee at 12 weeks post-op and feel slow to regain my ROM. Spoke to my OS office but they didn't think I needed to come in earlier than my schedule appt a week or so from now. 

I hope you are feeling less stiff by now and are doing ok! Keep us posted.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »
I would stretch and stretch and stretch some more and I could only get to about 60-65 degrees.   After 4 weeks I hadn't gotten any further and we were being rather aggressive to get some progress.  It wasn't "painful" but more like I was stuck.  It pretty much felt like if I did force it something would break, crack, go out...it was this pressure every time I got to a certain spot.

My OS was moving it around some to check it out and said that I most likely ended up with some scar tissue in there that was hanging me up.  Sure enough, after they got in there they found a pretty large piece of scar tissue keeping my knee cap from being able to shift completely. Post surgery I'm now at 105ish after alot of stretching.

I'm still really stiff and have to work to get to 105, but its improving...............slowly.

Where are you in your ROM?  Can you get past 100?

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
UPDATE: 9 weeks post ACL recon w/ham and 2 weeks post scope with MUA...

I am FINALLY  down to one crutch and my ROM is at a solid 115 with room to grow!!!  I'm now riding a stationary bike with full rotation and was able to add a few more strength exercises to the regimen today.

We might have finally turned a corner here.  :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
that is awesome!!! Keep it up!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
Congrats! I know it's been a long road, but you're making amazing progress now!

Offline virtual_me

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
Well done with your progress! :D

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
YAY!!!  Finally!
125+, been on single crutch...today tried it with no crutch.  Can probably start getting around the house now, at least some without any crutches...'bout time!!!

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
This has been a long 12 weeks!!!
4/3 - fractured & dislocated toe / total ACL tear (during a spin kick in tae kwon do)
4/30 - acl reconstruction - w/ham (autograft)
5/1 - SEVERE blood rush....lasted about 10 days
5/4 - fell on surgery (but was wearing immobilizer - no damage done but severe swelling that couldn't be calmed for awhile
6/8 - still stuck at 65 degrees - even when PT is aggressively pushing & trying to manipulate leg to get past that
6/18 - arthroscopy to remove scar tissue & manipulation under anesthesia (took me to 120 - told me I may not get past that fully rehabbed)
7/5 - well, I've passed 90 but can't really get anywhere past 105'ish - looks like I may be stuck again?!?
7/10 - 115 after I changed my own PT exercises at home
7/11-7/17 - on vacay - just doing the PT exercises I came up with but I think I may be further along
7/24 - 140+ with room to grow

What's my point in all of this???  I have been really stuck and then sort of stuck. I've had issues with swelling, had to fire & hire new PT, sort of stuck again, figured out some exercises on my own that just felt more "right" to my knee and am now crutch free, brace free and walking around (although super slow) and have full ROM with more to go.  Knees are a process, a very frustrating process.  DO NOT be discouraged.  Everyone on here is very helpful, motivational, and kind.  Stick to your PT, do the hard work, figure out how to find an abundance of patience (so NOT my forte), and when all else fails, log on here and post for help!!!!  I'm not leaving this forum - I have a long ways to go, but just sharing that while it can be a super long hard road, it can get better too!!!  Thank you to EVERYONE that has been so supportive!!!!!

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
That is fabulous news!  Very interesting to see this updated timeline too.  An annotated guide to not giving up!  Hearty congratulations :)
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
Oh wow! You've come so far, and the results from your arthroscopy/MUA are just fantastic! I'm so glad that your ROM has come back with a vengeance, and that you can now get on with the rest of your recovery. Did I read on another thread that you're thinking of switching PTs? Anyways, so thrilled for you  ;D

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
Hobblescotch - thanks.  Yes on the PT change most likely.  The person I've had that I liked has quit suddenly.  The replacement person, while extremely nice, is very new and a bit inexperienced for my liking.  We'll see.

I've been going through your posts - you are doing FAB!!!  Congrats!

support