Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus repair & microfracture - 3 weeks & walking  (Read 1103 times)

Offline zman73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus repair & microfracture - 3 weeks & walking
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
3 1/2 weeks post op. Initially, it was supposed to be a meniscus surgery, but the Dr did femoral microfracture as well. initially he told me no weigh bearing for 4-5 weeks. But on my 2nd visit (2 weeks post-op) when he took the stitches off, he asked me to walk on my knee at 3 weeks post-op.

To be honest, I was and still hesitant to do it. I am hesitant because most of the places I read about the surgery, they say 6 weeks no weigh bearing.

I consulted my physical therapist and he was surprised, but told be to listen to my doctor. 5 days ago, I started walking (with crutches) and it felt weird. No pain, but muscles seemed to be weak. Now I'm ok  putting 50% weight on my knee, but still hesitant. I feel like I can walk now on 1 crutch and even walk without crutches, but I don't want to push it then regret it.

For therapy, I'm doing exercises 2 to 3 times a day and icing my knee 3 to 4 times. I can bend my knee now 130 degrees and swelling is down. I started on a stationery bike after 2 1/2 weeks (with no resistance). I felt discomfort in my hip, but it was fine after the 1st day. Swimming, without any weight bearing seems to help me stay flexible.

So, should I keep walking or should I wait?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:16:11 PM by zman73 »

Offline zman73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Meniscus repair & microfracture - 3 weeks & walking
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
4 weeks + 1 day. I decided to walk with 1 crutch. Leg feels little stressed. I'm not sure whether it is becaus of the crutches of because my physical therapist started to add weights to my workouts!

Offline acepoet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Meniscus repair & microfracture - 3 weeks & walking
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »
I went in for arthroscopy and meniscopy however 2 weeks later and following exercises in leaflet I was given for 'what to do after arthroscopy' I realised that my discharge papers said I'd had a medial femoral condyl microfracture. My follow up is not until tomorrow NHS physio and I don't see consultant until august. I have made several phone calls to find out if I was doing the right thing by doing these exercises as everything on internet said I should be nwb for at least 6 weeks. As I had been doing well I was pushing myself trying to crouch down and pull leg back as far as poss. Wanted to go back to dance class and walk through but couldn't get any nhs advise. Phoned my private physio and he said absolutely not as any damage I do now will be irreversible. The last week has been spent in a blur of worry. Am I doing the right thing or not. Can't get to private physio as he is too far away now and haven't even tried driving yet. Have lost all faith in nhs physio as when I phoned them they just said ' I don't now you should speak to consultant' but this is proving impossible. What have other people done?? Am I doing the right thing by resting as much as poss now. Or should I continue with what I was doing. Really confused, please help......