Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 2901 times)

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
MPFL Reconstruction
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »
Hi! My name is Jada, I'm 18 years old, and yesterday I had my MPFL Reconstruction.

A bit of background: I first dislocated my knee last year doing a dance for my drama class and turned around too quickly. After that, I went through physical therapy and was alright. I did color guard the following year for my school and participated in musicals. Then I dislocated it a second time earlier this year with only 3 weeks of school left. How'd I do it? Bent over to plug up a charger. Since I was about to graduate, the doctor said I would be alright with a brace until I graduated. So I've graduated, went on my senior trip to Disney World, and came home and had my surgery yesterday. I got there at 10:30 for a surgery time of 12:30. We had some issues with the IV and they had to stick me SIX times before getting the IV in. I have an extreme fear of needles so this was the worst part. Surgery went alright and I found myself in the recovery room. I woke up and couldn't breathe (it was just really hard to), with a headache, and a very nauseous stomach. They gave my medicine in my IV for my headache and put a patch behind my ear for the nausea. Both of which didn't help and I had to stay in the recovery room for a long time throwing up. They finally took out my IV and packed me up in the car and I finally got home around 7pm (and my surgery was at 12:30pm). I got home, stayed nauseous for a long time but could stomach a little bit of ice cream. They gave me a block in my leg so my leg was completely numb. It was very hard for me to sleep that night and I had to constantly get up to use the bathroom.

Day One- Well, day one of recovery started off on a rough start. The block had started to wear off on my leg and I was in a great deal of pain. I couldn't move at all cause the slightest move hurt so bad. I've already taken 3 of the painkillers that the hospital gave me today and it's not working, the pain is just getting worse. It's been hard for me to stomach food as well. I am continuing to constantly use the bathroom (about once each hour) and it hurts so bad to get up on my crutches to go. This past time, I was in so much pain that I started crying and couldn't make it. The pain was too unbearable. I haven't been sleepy at all either. Is all this normal? I feel like something is wrong so I decided to post on here. Thanks for any help and feedback y'all might have!

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
Hi Jada

I had my second MPFL reconstruction 7 weeks ago,

Don't worry - while it is horrible and painful - all of what you have said there is totally normal.  I went through all of that - more so on my first time - very very nauseous and sick the two times.

From what I can remember the first time - the pain was horrible for about a week - but it DOES get beter - I hear ya about going through the bathroom - that was the most dreaded part of my day the first time I had it done - this time I was a little more prepared. Just take your time. if you can, and relax.

For me I found the painkillers made everything horrible for going to the toilet - I couldn't do either for a few days until I lowered dose.

At least it is behind you now - it's a painful recovery but only for a short time.
xxxx

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:11 AM »
Thank you so much for your feedback, kneetrouble03! That makes me feel better!

Day Two- Sleep has finally caught up with me. I went to sleep around 3 this morning and woke up at 1:30 this afternoon. I've been tired all day but I can't sleep now. My pain is still so awful. My trips to the bathroom is getting less frequent, but every time I get up to go to the bathroom on my crutches, I end up throwing up before I make it back to the couch. Going to the bathroom is definitely the most dreaded part of my day cause moving hurts so bad. My knee is throbbing and it's even started itching but I can't do anything about that cause of the brace I have one. I'm eating better, but unfortunately I throw it all back up. Really, that's all I can think of that's different from day one. The pain is so bad that I sit and cry for a while after moving only slightly. I just hope the pain gets better soon...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
You poor thing :( It's not easy :(

I remember it well. Are you weight bearing or non weight bearing with crutches?

First time I was non weight bearing so had to hop everywhere on the crutches - that was hard.  This time he realigned tibia bone as well so technically fracturing it but was Full weight bearing the day after the op with crutches - as far as the throwing up goes - are you on strong pain killers? I threw up after every type of pain killer except paracetomol.

Ah yes the itching! Thought I was gonna kill somebody because I couldn't itch it haha.  One thing to maybe try - when I got my sutures out I would take it off for a minute of two and just take my palm and rub it over knee to try relieve itch. 

You are doing well - and I know that a week away sounds forever to you, but you will get there. 7 weeks ago when I had the MPFL and TTT I thought the pain would never go away - now I don't even remember the pain and that's the honest truth.

One thing to say - keep an eye out if you get a fever (although I am sure you have heard this already) I got a small fever this time on week two for about three nights - it wasn't a high fever but it left me feeling a bit flu like and hard to breathe - turns out it was an ear infection - so just keep an eye out if you get a fever.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you
KneeTrouble
xxx

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
If you are that nauseous yet, I’d maybe make a call into your surgeon’s office and ask about some anti-nausea medication, or to maybe try a different type of pain killer. What they prescribed just may not be working with you, we’re all different that way.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:30:24 AM »
Day Three- Well today has really been a turn-around! I tried a new pain medicine yesterday and this one actually works! My pain has really gone down and I haven't been nauseous at all today! Trips to the bathroom are not as frequent as before and I can actually make it there and back to the couch without tons of pain and nausea. My leg is itching like crazy but I know that's a good sign so it's alright. I don't know if I mentioned this before but ever since my surgery, I've been very gassy. I don't know why. Is this normal? Or just me? Haha, I hope it has something to do with the surgery. Throbbing in my upper thigh is frequent and around the I incisions as well. The worst part of today is that I woke up and was starving. I can't seem to get full no matter how much I eat! Oh well. I'm also sleeping better so today was definitely a great day for me. :)

Thanks for all the feedback and help, guys! It's really helping me feel better about my recovery. :)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
Aw Jada I am delighted you are feeling a bit better today :-)

Makes all the difference!! Glad you are sleeping better too - hopefully you will continue like that!

As for being gassy, it could just be the anaesthetic - it can take a while to fully leave your body.

Keep up the good recovery

xx

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
Hiya Jada,

I've been following your posts over the last couple of days and I'm so glad you are feeling a little bit better today. I had a MPFL recon last year and I can remember the pain very well.

Please keep us updated on your progress & keep up the great recovery!

Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »
Thank you all so much for your support! It really means a ton to me and aids in my recovery. :)

Day Four- Well, I thought things were starting to get better, but today has seemed to be a step back. My pain is definitely not as bad as it used to be. It still hurts but I can bear it. I've been nauseous today again and it was hard for me to eat. I took a nap so maybe I'd feel better afterwards, but when I woke up, I was soooo hungry that it made me sick and I also had a headache. Other than that, the worst pain is when I get up to go to the bathroom. When I stand up to get on my crutches, there's so much pressure on my leg.. I feel like some of the swelling may have gone down and my brace is not tight enough cause it feels like the brace is pulling down on my leg. They told me not to adjust my brace straps at all, but it hurts so bad and I don't know what to do cause what if I'm putting unnecessary pressure on my leg? Other than all that, I'm still doing alright. Just hoping for better days ahead.

Thank y'all so much!

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:13:52 AM »
Day Five- Well today was a really good day! My pain is minimal and I am eating very well now. I wasnt nauseous at all today! I did get a headache though, which lasted about half the day, but it's better now! I finally was able to go "number two" and since I took y'all's advice and took a stool softener, it wasnt bad at all! :) The only real bad things about today were my leg feeling pressure from my brace when I stand up and my pain meds giving me hot flashes since our AC broke today. :( I am also starting to have muscle spasms im my bad leg but I hope that's not a bad sign... But other than that, I'm zooming along with recovery! :)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
Keep going Jada you are nearly over the worst of it!!!!

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:26:59 AM »
Day Six- Well, I don't have too much to say about today except ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY. That's all I'm gonna say about it cause if I think about it, it will start itching again. Hahaha. Anyways, today has been awesome except until recently I accidentally twisted it so I'm in a good deal of pain now, but hopefully it will get better. Thanks for the support!

Offline JadaMichelle10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
Exactly 3 Weeks Later- Well I am doing just fabulous! I just finished my second week of rehab and I'm already bending up to 70 degrees and now I don't have to use my crutches around the house! I'm in my new bendable brace and I'm getting out of the house more! The only problem now is dry skin. There's so much!!!  Sorry I haven't been on in a while! I either get busy or tired? Or just say I'm gonna post later and it never happens. But thank y'all for your support! I would be freaking out without your kind words of encouragement! Thank y'all so much!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
Jada,

70 degrees and being able to be off crutches at home is fabulous progress! I was nowhere near that point three weeks after my MPFL reconstruction!

Keep up the good work on the rehab! Sending healing thoughts your way!

Em

Offline WarriorPrncss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
Jada,

70 degrees and being able to be off crutches at home is fabulous progress! I was nowhere near that point three weeks after my MPFL reconstruction!

Keep up the good work on the rehab! Sending healing thoughts your way!

Em

Agreed! I am about 3 weeks post op, still using crutches and unable to bend my knee. I'm still in a locked brace position. And the pain is still fairly bad.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! I'm hoping my recovery kicks into high gear, soon!

support