Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruputured Quad and Patellar Tendon.  (Read 1653 times)

Offline mrclean82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Ruputured Quad and Patellar Tendon.
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
I fell six feet onto icy concrete 7 months ago.  I had a displaced fracture patella, and complete rupture quad and patellar tendon, ligaments torn, and cartilage damage.  I am curious to find out  if anyone else has had both tendons rupture.  Rehab is slow because of my wonderful injury I am slowly getting my rom back but either I am in pain or my knee is numb. 

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Ruputured Quad and Patellar Tendon.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »
Hey there.  I fell and ruptured both patellar tendons.  Had surgery on 7/19/13 to repair and then spent another 10 days in a rehab hospital.  According to the Orthopedic Surgeon, it is very rare to rupture both tendons, unless there is an underlying medical cause or there is history of steroid abuse.  I have been and will be immobile for the next 3 weeks per the doctor, for a total of six weeks without being able to actively bend my knees.  I used a CPM machine in the hospital but my insurance said that they are not medically necessary for my injury and refused to pay for an in home machine.  However, I am receiving in home PT once per week and she expressly said that I need passive ROM to increase the healing and for positive end results.  After the 6 weeks, I will have to start with PT and exercising.  The braces will be locked at an ever increasing degree and for safety sake, I know that I will be wearing them at all times.  I have a growing fear of falling after the braces come off as I have seen that others have re-injured their tendons when going to fast or slipping and falling on slippery surfaces.  Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 259
Re: Ruputured Quad and Patellar Tendon.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Mrclean82 that is some injury you've sustained.  Well done on finding your way onto these boards for TLC and sympathy.  We can't offer medical advice but we can understand some of what your going through and tell you what worked for us.

The CPM machine doesn't seem so common in the UK and I will be 7 weeks post op by the time I have my first proper physiotherapy session.  At 5 weeks I was told I could gave my hinged brace unlocked and I saw a physiotherapist whose job was to take my details and put them into the computer.  He suggested raising and lowering my injured leg while using my good leg for support and also heel slides.

I've adopted a technique I read about on the 324 page thread to do my own passive exercise.  I sit on a chair and rest my foot on an old skateboard.  I use my good leg to move the skateboard back and forth thus bending my injured knee.  I do it very gently because I'm a bit scared.  In my bedroom I have a wooden foot roller (meant for massaging feet) and I employ the same technique using that.  This saves me going up and down stairs with crutches and a skateboard.  I don't think I'm quite up to that yet :) !

Mrclean82, in your post you sound like you have a PMA (positive mental attitude).  I know it's not always easy to maintain, but keep it up.  It's the main thing that's keeping me going.  Sella.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015