Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: IT band help  (Read 973 times)

Offline beefycol

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
IT band help
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
Il cut long story short. From last thread my knee pai has calmed down alot thanks to stretching and massages.

I still have a problem, went knees are bent for a while I have to extend my leg and my knee cap snaps.

My PT believes it is my ITB, it is rock hard now I mean rock hard lol, from knee about 6-8 inchs up, on both legs. Was all the way up to my hip but that has calmed down now with stretching.

Treatment I've had for the ITB is stretching yet they believe ITB stretch is pointless,
Hip and vmo strengthing, using wobble cushion too,
Massaging weekly,
a little accupuntuce weekly
tried lying on a golf ball at 45 secs intervals then moving to another spot and repeating,
and I have also done a little foam rolling not much tho.

It is still rock hard and not showing any signs of improvements.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: IT band help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
I would ask about IMS (intramuscular stimulation). It uses needles similar to acupuncture, but instead of being based on meridians it's based on physical indications. IMS practitioners look for hard, knotted bands of muscle, and use the needles to release them.

It's not very comfortable, because when the needle penetrates a tight muscle the muscle cramps hard before releasing - it's sort of like myofascial massage or foam rolling on steroids. The tighter the muscle, the stronger this cramping sensation feels. (Conversely, if the needle goes into a normal muscle that isn't tight you don't feel it at all.) However, I've found it to be exceptionally effective for chronically tight IT bands. Keeping the IT bands from tightening stops them from pulling my kneecaps out of position, so it really helps with maltracking and knee pain.

I'm not a medical professional, and I don't know the underlying cause of your IT band problems, so definitely talk to your PT about this before pursuing it - but it's another option that you can consider.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline beefycol

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Been today, I think I've had this a few times, 2nd time being to day, she calls it dry needling, its horriable compared to accupuncutre.

She's told me to foam roll and stretch twice a day now, also hip strengthing and balance exercies, going back in 4 weeks. Ive not done that much foam rolling before, she said it will work, so we will see how I improve in 4 weeks from it.

Failing that think im gonna have to live with it, blooming joke. Been 2 years now, never ending.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:20 AM »
she calls it dry needling, its horriable compared to accupuncutre.

Yes, that sounds familiar. ;) The effects are cumulative and wear off very quickly the first couple of times you have it, so it might be worth persisting - I think it took somewhere between four and six sessions for me to notice a sustained improvement. Once I got to that point, I was able to keep the IT bands reasonably loose by foam rolling diligently every day. I do have to get the IMS occasionally when I overdo things and the bands start to tighten up beyond the point where the foam rolling helps, but fortunately it's only once in a while.

Good luck! I hope something you try works - that's an awfully long time to have been living with rock solid IT bands. :(
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline beefycol

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
She dont wanna see me for 4 weeks for some reason, think she believes in this foam rolling, so we will see.  >:(

Yep the stretching helped everywhere apart from ITB, but still keeping it up getting annoying now.