Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Annapurna Base Camp Trek in Nepal  (Read 1111 times)

Offline charklean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Annapurna Base Camp Trek in Nepal
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
Hi.  I tore my right ACL in Feb. 2011.  After consulting with an orthopedic surgeon, I chose not to have it surgically repaired.

My affected knee continues to be quite stable and for the past year, I have been running 3 - 4 days each week.  My maximum mileage per week is about 25 miles.

To date, running has not resulted in my experiencing any further problems with my affected knee.

I will admit that even though my affected knee is stable and pain free, it does  not feel the same as it did before I injured it and because I know it's more vulnerable to injury now, I've quit doing certain activities like skiing to prevent re-injury.       

On October 28, 2013, I am scheduled to begin a 14 day Annapurna Base Camp Trek in Nepal.

THE CHALLENGE:

It is my understanding that the biggest challenge for my knees on this trek will be the long steep downhill parts of the trek that can go on for up to two hours.

MY QUESTION:

Has anyone with an unrepaired completely torn (but stable) ACL ever completed a trek like this before?

If so, I was wondering if you could share with me what steps you took before and during the trek to prevent re-injury and to maintain the health status of your affected knee during the trek?

Right now, my plan is to continue to strengthen the muscles in my quadriceps and hamstrings.

My family doctor also referred me back to my sports physio to explore the pros and cons of wearing a knee brace during this type of trek.   

Any information you could share with me in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlene