Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can some someone explain??  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Jennva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Can some someone explain??
« on: January 22, 2004, 06:09:32 PM »
 Sorry, I had to start a new posting...the other was getting kind of long.  I got the letter from my doc to see a new doc for a second opinion. I had to laugh at the letter because it's one of those cover my butt letters, where it says that he did everything and that I am making up my pain and swelling and inability to get around very well.  But I wanted to know if someone could explain one thing that was in this letter.  In it he says something about a 1cm x 5 mm tear in the distal medial femoral condyle. What does that mean??? He keeps changing his story every five seconds, and it would be nice for once to know what in the world this man is talking about. Please help. BTW, my new doc appt. is next thursday. I hope he will help me. If not, then I give up, and I will just accept thing the way that they are, even if I am only 24 with two small kids.Oh, well.
Thanks!

Jennifer

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Can some someone explain??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 07:58:17 PM »
I would have to guess when he's referring to the "1cm X 5mm tear" that it's an articular cartilage tear.  This is not the same as a mensicus tear.  This is the cartilage that covers the ends of the bones.  

I hate OSs like you describe.  I saw one who was a real a&%[email protected]*.  He refused to release my records so I would see a surgeon who was more experianced to treat the kind of ligament tear I had.  That was when I was still playing college soccer.  The trainers at my school were ready to take him to court to release my records.  He finally released them once they began to threaten him with legal action.  I think it funny that your OS thinks you are making up the swelling, You would think that would be something he would be able to recognize

Best of luck to you!  Hopefully your second opinion will bring you the answers you seek.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Jennva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 08:51:32 PM »
lol...that was pretty messed up. I too am waiting for him to release my records. I got some story yesterday that he was dictating it..whatever.  I had a partial menisectomy and now he saw that tear.  Yeah, one would think that he would be able to see swelling, but hey, you know how they are if they don't know what in the world they are doing. Anyway, I will definately keep everyone posted as to what this new doc says. Thanks!!

Jennifer

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 09:58:19 PM »
Jennifer,

Even if the new doctor can't help you, please don't give up.  Your children should not have to have a mom who is in pain because of arrogant surgeons.  You shouldn't live your life like it is now just because someone doesn't want to take on another doctor's messed up surgery.

I've seen six doctors and am still looking for help. Some were wonderful, some downright awful.  Keep looking, you will find someone who can be your partner on this journey.  Since it looks like you may have damaged articular cartilage, find a doctor who specializes in cartilage restoration--they tend to have higher skill levels as they are doing cutting edge stuff.  Try visiting the big names here on this board.  Otherwise, visit www.genzyme.com and do a search for a doctor in your area who does Carticel surgery.  That may not be what you need, but it is cartilage restoration and their docs are trained in the latest and greatest.  At least you would get an opinion from someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Heather
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:58:58 PM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Jennva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 07:03:42 PM »
I understand that I shouldn't give up, everyone including my family keeps telling me that.  But, who can I turn to? I can't go to the er, I already know they won't do anything, and I certainly can't call my current os, I know he won't do anything.I just feel like I can't turn to anyone for help, and it's lonely.I seem to keep slipping further and further into depression as this continues.Believe me, I have always had a fighting spirit especially in the past year, and was not willing to give up.Until now.Each time I would get my hopes up just to be let down again.Why won't my body cooperate??I have wanted to take just five minutes out and beat the heck out of my knee, but I know I can't. I can barley get around as it is, and if I do that, I really won't be able to do anything, then who would help me?I look at my kids and I cry because I can't do even half the things I used to with them.That's why I am going to this new doc, just to amuse my family, friends, co workers, and even my current os.No one has given me a good reason to, or even something that would give me some kind of comfort.I guess my point is, if this doc turns me away too, I just don't see the point in continuing with this.I don't have the time or the energy anymore. I am sorry. Thanks for listening.

Jennifer

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »
Hey Jennifer, I know that this is a long and lonely road, and it can get pretty diffiucult to manage at times. :-/ That's the great hting about a place like this...WE all know where you are and we've been there too.
First of all, I think you should go see this new doc... He may have ideas your current os doesn't, and often my OS will have someone look at me...to ensure that he isn't missing something because he's so involved with this.  A Sober opinion he calls it.   ;)
I know it's hard to look back and see what you could do, and that you can't do it now. I'm right there with ya, along with atleast half of this board.
However, giving up won't get you anywhere, because the knee won't feel better when you are ignoring it. I have done this many times, just gone back to work..and ignored it for awhile, but it keeps getting worse and then I have to come home and deal with it again.
I know how discouraged you are, you've had some discouraging experiences...and I just want you to know, you are't down here alone.  The ER docs aren't what you need...because they are only general medacine, you need a good OS.   :-/
Hang in there, I know everyone else is telling you that too, but there is nothign else you can do.
HUGSand HOpe
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support