Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post op open wedge high tibia osteotomy and microfracture  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I had my operation 7 days ago ..stayed in hospital for 3 days as I requested to come home ...op went well ..excruciating pain by day 2 not a good night sleep constantly waking up for pain relief and ice ...extremely swollen from thigh down to foot ..physio visited on day 3 to bring me crutches as no weight bearing up to 8 weeks ..this is going to be hard and frustrating ..done well on crutches despite the pain ..learnt how to tackle the stairs ....discharged on day 3 ...realised got home very emotional as u forget how well adapted the hospital is with grab bars high beds etc is then u return home and there is none of this ...got myself ailot as drugs make u feel so groggy  forget what I've taken ....been given asprin for blood ..and diclofenisc paracetomal and galpendin ...all help but don't relieve all the pain ...;0/

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Post op open wedge high tibia osteotomy and microfracture
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
Day 7 ... Another uncomfortable night sleep ...not used to sleeping sat up like sleeping on side ..every movement pain wakes me up ...managing stairs a little better easier coming down then up ..cheat a little due hoping up and down ..not how shown by physio ....but I works ...find leg very painful around the osteotomy site when I get up and move or sit in chair  ..but the pain from microfracture is painful when laying on sofa ..still trying to do excesses but still two so painful and hard to do ...staring to itch around the stapled area ..not looking forward to all these coming out in 8 days ...swelling not to bad today but will get worse when up on crutches or sitting down ...bruising starting to come out all over knee and leg even on back ...having me wheelchair delivered by Red Cross today as these four walls are driving me mad .. :o

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
Hi there,
Sorry that you're feeling so rough with this - the lack of sleep got to me too and the only way for me to function was to have an afternoon nap every day!
I was lucky as i was allowed to weight bear from day one, as long as I was wearing my brace, so I was able to get out and about (albeit very limited).
I was also also told to keep taking the painkillers and anti inflammatories for as long as I needed them- it was important for exercising and also they work better once they're in your system.
Good luck with your recovery and keep your chin up - it will soon start to improve.
Best wishes
Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
Sorry to hear not is going as well as expected, make sure you keep up with the meds as they do help. I had a HTO in Nov 2011 and was NWB for two weeks and then PWB for a further 4 weeks, however as you have had microfracture as well you will be NWB for longer than I was. Try to rest your leg as much as possible in the first few weeks and really take it easy. I know that daytime TV is rubbish, but maybe you could try DVD's, and reading as well to take your mind off your leg. Easier said than done, I know.
As for the lack of sleep, catch up on it when you can, I used to fall asleep in the chair whilst watching tv. have you tried putting a pillow under part of your leg to help with the pains.
I wrote a post op diary, here is the link if you want to read, please remember that I didn't have microfracture.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

My heart goes out to you, as things seem to be very emotional at the moment, but they will get better and not everyone around you will understand what you are going through and how you are feeling.

Stay positive and look forward to all those things you want to do in the future, this will help get through the bad and uncomfortable times. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Best wishes
WD

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Thanks Debbiecj ...yes it is hard not used to all this sitting around and thanks wonkey donkey I have alteady read your diary it was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead with the operation ..as I was in two minds what to do due to all the complications you are told could happen ..and I don't have a Cyril cuff only available at physio but I have been icing quite regularly and finding this has helped a lot with the swelling ...
Day 8 ...had a better night sleep last night but still wokE up quite a few times as uncomfortable and pain ...still taking pain killers on the dot ..and still feeling very dizzy with these ..my fantastic if daughter washed my hair last night ..what a fantastic feeling having clean hair ...the new wheels have arrived fantastic service by the Red Cross ..have had a sit in chair very comfortable and a nice brand new one which helps especially with my OCD on cleanliness ...hoping for the hubby to take me out for fresh air over weekend ..leg has now come out every where so bruised and starting to feel pins and needles more frequently ...and the pain when putting leg down is excruciating especially in the area of the plate not sure if its the plate irritating or the bone pain....still can't bend the leg but think this may also be the microfracture as well ...follow up for consultant arrived today 1 July and physio on 4 th June not sure what I will be doing as still can't weight bear there ..so hopefully he won't hurt me to much ..luckily I do know him from my 5 previous years of physio .. Until this op ...still so emotional feel like anything and everything sets me off the pain the frustration the feeling guilty of everyone having to care for me practically 24 hours a day ...even my poor husband working and getting up all hours to make me comfortable help me to the loo help wash me make me breakfast and then have to go do a days work ...hoping I have made the right decision even though have been told its a long road ahead and not to expect miracles .... ???

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
Day 9 .another reasonable night sleep great..nice having hubby off no more getting up at 6 to get downstairs ...finding sitting in wheel chair is very comfortable ... ;D how great it's been to get out ..even if for only 2 hours ..but a nice trip in chair to garden centre and to sit outside costa on a fantastic sunny day ..makes such a difference ...couldn't believe how only a little trip takes it completely out of you ...got home sat on sofa took pills as pain had got worse but to get out was worth the extra pain ....then 5 hours later I wake up ..lol...so def a relax on sofa to reduce the swelling and get me energy back ...
Over the last week I have found I am getting so breathless not sure if this is due to my injury and the extra effort to get around ...or the heart murmur I have ..if anyone has experienced the same please let me know ...really don't want to be having to have another problem to worry about ...   ???

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Day 11 ...what a fantastic day I had yesterday ..my first visitors ...a nice relax in the wheels in the garden sun out BBQ going ...only downside no alcohol for me ..but having friends around is such good medicine ..thnk may have paid for it a very swollen  leg ad foot by 10 pm ..so found it extremelly hard to get upstairs with me crutch and jumping on other leg ...so had to be going up on the bum night as me leg felt like a dead weight ..so on me sofa elevated leg today ...finding everytime I get up to move on critches I get the most excruciating throbbing pain in the leg area where the osteotomy has been done hoping this is normal and nothing wrong .??? ...wondering how long it will be before I cand put leg down to move around on crutches and chair without it swelling to 4 times its size ..as all this sitting down with elevated leg is not me ...lol...on a good note least I've got lots to catch up on today n tv thank god for sky+ ...and on demand ..will keep me occupied for the rest of the day ...hoping tomorrow will be up to going out for a short trip ...depending on weather ... :D

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
Day 12-14....day 12 not to good Solent whole day on sofa leg elevated ..so much pain ...couldn't get comfy ..and so tired phoned doc regarding pain meds as was told to slowly phase off of the gapabendin ...or something like that ..but explained the pain is so severe ..so they have given me a new full prescription ...hate to think what I'd be like if I had to stop them ..yesterday was nice more visitors to put smile on my face even if for short time..S I just can't get comfortable lately sit one way then it hurts by the osteotomy f isit another it hurts the microfracture area ..still having agonising pain in the ostetomy site and the shin bone below all the time I get up on crutches or jus dangle me leg in a chai etc hoping this is normal ...today I'm on sofa again as leg very swollen again ...hoping for me friend popin later ..but not till I know me house is immaculate ..def driving kids and hubby round the bend with my OCD ..seems so much worse now I can't do anything ...tomorrow going to be fun ...clips are coming out..hoping the district nurse will be gentle ...so back to loose women it is ..running out of tv now ...not looking good ..lol ... ;D

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »
Day 15-19 post op...
Not been to bad over last few days still in lot of pain and not sleeping well ...still not
I,ing me new scar..maybe once it settles down if it settles down It may not be to bad only time will tell ...had  a fantastic day down the sea front Sunday ..sat in me wheel chair fantastic weather ....but def takes it put of u ..very swollen leg on returning home ..but still enjoyed a nice afternoon BBQ ...tried to enjoy despite the pain...spent most of yesterday seeping and resting ...ready for today ....physio are so kind ....omg did it hurt when they got me to straighten as much as I could ..even know u say no more and they still try and push u a little then they try and get u to bend it ..this not only Hurt in the microfracture area but also felt like me knee cap was going to explode ..lol....they were happy with my bending apparently a little better then before op ..as the loose cartilage floating around had got caught ..which prevented me leg bending ..back in just over a week ...for more torture but until then got me excercisee instructions going to start these tomorrow as so painful and very swollen now ...so a nice relax on sofa ice cold coke ...but still no vodka ...lol.. ;)

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Day 22 - 25 ...had a nice weekend catching up with my uncle coming over from Spain ...been nice catching up ...went out Friday to do a little shopping so glad of the recomendation for a wheel chair ..only way of getting out and about ...but it's another world when in a wheel chair so many ignorant people ....obviously me sitting in a chair with me leg sticking out is not enough warning for people not to walk or try to push there trolleys into u like u not even there ...and it's amazing how many shops are so not wheel chair friendly ...
Day 23.. Had a great time catching up with family ..sat in garden having a BBQ and a soft drink for me ...but after all having ago on the lmicrophone for a a bit of singing ...had the biggest smile on my face and couldn't stop laughing ....despite all the pain ...
Day 24  Not as good day today feel a little in dumps and very tearful ...the frustration is kicking in again ..family are great at cleaning but ...I'm a bit of a perfectionist so itching to get it perfect and not being able to is so getting me down ...the thought of another 3 - 8 weeks of this is not helping ..
Day 25 ..not done much today ..finding leg still very swollen but foot seems so much worse like a swollen ball on top and so tight and hard to move ..tried to do my excercisee but even pulling foot back is proving hard with the swelling ..not doing any better with the leg bends ..little concerned as starting to feel grinding and clicking in the knee area where microfracture was done ..hoping this is not it coming away ..will ask physio on Friday ...and starting to feel the original pain in this area to pre op ...hoping this has not all been for nothing ...time for all those painkillers now so will be a drowsy zombie soon .. ;)

Offline Curz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Hi!

I had HTO on my left knee and an acl recon - which failed.
Ive read your blog and its everything im feeling. I can take the pain in the day, except for when you get up for the first time in a while but at night its literally a nightmare. The pain is so intense and I cannot get comfortable as im on my back with my leg up in a restrictive brace. Ive taken the brace off a few times in the day to let my leg get some air though.

Does the sleeping get better or have you found a way to better it? I hate that not only do I not sleep but my partner doesnt sleep either.

Good luck and thanks

Matt
Tore acl 2007 and meniscus
Acl recon op and meniscus 2011
Tore reconstructed ACL feb 2012 and meniscus gone 2012
Leg out of alignent jan 2013 with lots of pain
HIgh tibial osteotomy on left knee june 2013. Patella tendon acl recon failed during operation june 2013.

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 01:05:44 AM »
Sorry it's been a while since I've updated
Sorry to hear u are in so much pain curz  ..I so would like to say it gets better , but its not with me ..I'm now 56 days post op ..I've been having my leg straightened and bent by my physio but its not nice extremely painful within the knee , but this is due to my microfracture ...bending is not as bad on the ostetomy site but the straightening is , I'm still on critches and the chair if got a distance to do , I'm allowed to put about 20% weight through at mo pain tolerated , but after about 6 steps the pain im getting in my osteotomy site and shin is excruciating , I have now had my gapapentin increased now to 1800 mg and still taking diclifenic , but this is not ideal as they slow the bone healing down , but due to my allergys to codene and morphine I have to carry n with these ,
I have had my 6 week post op X-rays , they seem to be happy with these but will get a better idea  at 14 weeks when they are hoping ill be weight bearing little more for a full leg X-ray , I'm not only finding the pain physically draining its also mentally draining , and so frustrating ,
Also curz I am having big problems with sleeping can't get comfy and when I do the nights practically over , I've been sleeping downstairs , to give my husband a good night sleep , as wel, as he has had car accident , and is unable to help me up stairs .but I am finding sitting up on sofa is a little m,ore comfortable , still can't seem to get the selling down my foot looks like a pin cushion ...,  :(

Offline Curz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »
Hey,

Sorry to hear its not going well. Im 7 weeks post op. got the brace on still but am weight bearing an allowed to not use the crutches as well. I do keep one with me tho an use it half the time.

Im not balancing on one leg (operated leg) an allowed to do lunges and squats as well. I have no pain, swelling is going down to. My knee is cracking a lot tho as the swelling goes down. Its hard to walk properly tho due to the swelling.

Im off for another 5.5 weeks of work at least tho. How r u getting on since your last post?

Matt
Tore acl 2007 and meniscus
Acl recon op and meniscus 2011
Tore reconstructed ACL feb 2012 and meniscus gone 2012
Leg out of alignent jan 2013 with lots of pain
HIgh tibial osteotomy on left knee june 2013. Patella tendon acl recon failed during operation june 2013.

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi curz
Ive not been to bad ...getting little more sleep then before but still getting pain in night ...I'm now 40% weight bear with the use of crutches still ..find after about 10 metres the pain is still excruciating ..and getting a lot of cracklings in the knee too ...I'm finding my leg is locking a lot as well , so will speak to consultant about this ,, I'm off to see him next Wednesday for long leg X-rays ..ill be 14 weeks post op then ..hoping I will be giving ok to go back to work as I'm getting so bored , but am concerned ill struggle big time as not even managed to hobble for very long as yet and even though will be back on phase return will still be doing 3 hours work though ...main concern at mo is I'm still experiencing same pain in knee as was pre op ...sounds like u are doing a lot better then me , and looks like u op has been successful , just hoping all this pain is just scar tissue and will settle soon ..;0))

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
94 days post op ....it doesn't seem I've been off work this long ...and still struggling with rehabilitation ...another day at physio ..proud I managed to get through my lists ..but it was agony ...even came home and re did all of the excersises and stretches again in the afternoon ..getting more and more concerned abot the bone pain I'm feeling n my tibia especially in the osteotomy area ..it seems to get worse as the days go on ,, still getting a lot of pain in the microfracture area ..still can't straighten the leg it's like it goes so far then there is something stopping it go further ..not sure if scar tissue or failure of microfracture ..knee is still locking as soon as I put about 40% weight through and giving way on me a lot as well ..got me consultant on Wednesday so hoping he will be happy with long leg X-rays ...and if I can go back to work ..not sure what the average time is to be of work. But I feel i seem to be recovering slowly , thought I would of been back after about 8 weeks , its 14 at end of this week , still can't seem to master down to one crutch as I seem to walk funny as ,y husband says ,like I'm sticking my leg out as I walk ..still yakng maximum dose of pain relief ,, so also going to ask consultant if this is normal or should I be reducing this by now .. ::)

support