Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad time in PT, Re-injury? I'm so scared, Help!!  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
Bad time in PT, Re-injury? I'm so scared, Help!!
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »
Earlier today I was feeling great.  Had no pain, was walking fine (I've been doing a lot of resting)

Went to physical therapy and my physical therapist was out, and had a someone else work on me today.  He wanted me to do a straight leg lift from the table and he was going to help.  But he held right above my patella, quad area, to "stabilize it" as he helped me lift my leg.

Now without help, since I've been getting my strength back, I've been lifting my leg, slow, but fine without pain, and can lift all the way till it was directly above my hip.

With his help I felt the same pain feeling from my first injury.  It didn't pop necessarily, but it tugged and was painful and I couldn't lift my leg more than an inch off the table..  I used to be able to lift my leg!!! and I now I can't

It brought me back to how it was 7 months ago.  I'm so so so scared.  I'm so afraid I'm going to walk with a limp again, and my quad will shut down again.  I don't know what to do I can't handle it.

It hurts a bit now when I walk.   I've icing and just took some ibuprofin.  I will take more in the morning.  I'm terrified of tomorrow.  I can't go through this again. 

What does scar tissue feel like?  Is scar tissue weak and does it easily tear again?

I literally haven't had this feeling since the injury,  I've really had very minimal pain in my R knee.  Is getting strength back in my quad pulling on the injured tendon?  Am I making this worse?

Ack sorry this is so mumbled jumbled but I am a bit hysterical right now.  Please help
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Bad time in PT, Re-injury? I'm so scared, Help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:31 AM »
I don't know if you've been back to therapy or not, but I certainly hope you talked to them before you did anything, and were very clear about what happened, and what caused pain.

It may be advisable to take a few days off therapy and let it settle, and just RICE it, and see if it settles on it's own. (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate)

I do hope you're not as upset as you sounded in your message, and I wanted to reply to you to let you know that you're not alone, just take a step back, take a breath, and re-evaluate. Then decide what to do. Call your OS, if your worried, that's what they get the big bucks for.

I hope it's settled down by now, and you're feeling a bit better. Baby it for the weekend coming up, do dinner and a movie in.... and take the time to feel better in the noggin as well as the knee. :)
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline jpetrie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:43:35 AM »
All I can suggest is you talk to your PT.

Before my operation I read through several stories about people's recovery. It didn't sound fun, and I thought "How hard can it be?". I'm only 5 days post-op and it's horrible. My leg hasn't been right since the incident last year. I suffered an avulsion fracture to my tibia last August. MRI didn't show an ACL tear as they had suspected. After the cast came off I've had the worst 9 months until they finally agreed to do an arthroscopy and found the ACL had completely severed.

I'm constantly worrying that someone has gone wrong and am completely unable to trust my leg.

Can't imagine what it would feel like to go 7 months and have this happen.

Really hope you get it sorted, let us know how it goes.

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:09:49 AM »
Thank you guys for your responses.  I am feeling better and a little less scared.  I'm taking some ibuprofin and my knee is feeling OK.  I have some pain, but I was expecting the next day it'd be a lot worse.  So I'm happy it's bearable!  Although I have not tried to lift my leg yet.. a little wary.

I don't have PT again until next week, wed.  I'm going to try to space out my last 3 sessions.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) my insurance maxes out at 20 PT sessions a year.  So after the 3 I'm on my own.   I will talk with my PT about it more.  And I see my OS on June 3rd.  Seems sooo far away!

Hoping for the best

Thanks again
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »
I too have limited PT with my ins. I would suggest this when you see your PT again. Ask them to set you up with home exercises you can do with "household items" such as a bath towel, bag of rice, a couple cans in a grocery sack, etc. A 12" child's play ball from the store can also be a valuable therapy item, and they're cheap to buy.

Ask if you can purchase a length of theraband if that particular item would be of assistance.  A theraband is basically a length of elastic about 6" wide that they can give you a piece of that's 4-5 ft long, that you can tie around your knees for outer thigh exercises, tie it in a circle and loop it under a chair, sit on the chair and do stuff with it that way, etc. They have a wide range of exercises that therabands can be used for. It's very versatile, and the different colors it comes in are different "weights" or resistance levels. I bought a roll of it off the internet for myself, because of the same thing - limited insurance and the need to do things on my own.

If you're scared to do straight leg lifts unassisted, you can take a LARGE bath towel and put it under the length of your leg from just below the knee down for support, and use it as an assist to help you to lift your leg. Applying pressure at the joint, with the fracture is something I'd shy away from, were it my knee.

Tip from my experience.... break down the leg lift into parts... so you have the knee stable when you try and move the leg.  Sit on the couch or floor with the leg out in front of you, focus on the quads, and tense up the top and side quads as much as you can WITHOUT moving anything first, so that you see the kneecap tighten down and you feel the leg stiffen up. THEN, when the leg feels like you've tightened the muscles and locked the knee still, try to lift it just a few inches, for a few seconds, and then set it back down. If you can pick it up the height of your foot - that's plenty. Baby steps. making sure you are able to hold the knee still when you go to lift the leg, that the lower leg isn't flopping around, may help you have more control over the lift, and have it hurt less, if not be painless.

If your problem is quad strength, ask your PT about quad sets and see if they're a good idea for you. a quad set is like this... roll up a hand towel to about 3" in diameter, with the leg straight out on a firm surface like the couch or floor, place the rolled towel under the knee just above the bend in the knee, and then work on tightening down the quads to squeeze the towel for 10 second intervals... hold 10 seconds, relax 10, repeat 5 times, rest 2 minutes and repeat. This works on quad muscle strength without involving the knee so much, since you're sitting still, working on the quads, but not actually lifting the leg. You need to be able to tense and hold the quads tight to lift the leg, so this sort of thing may be of help if you've got weak quads.  Sure can't hurt to ask....
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support