Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus post op  (Read 1746 times)

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus post op
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
Here's what I posted in the meniscus specialty board, http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=63574.0.  Day 1 post op, and I'm doing well.  Still taking Norco every 4 hours.  I'm planning to go to work tomorrow, and have my wife drive me.  I've asked twice about exercises and both times was told my OS would talk to me at my follow up a week from today, does this sound typical?  I have crutches and plan to take them with me to work tomorrow.  I'm hoping by Saturday/Sunday to no longer need the crutches and feel well enough to drive(standard), we'll see.  I do have some discomfort in the epidural site.  I'll be taking the bandages off and getting a shower when my wife gets home.  If you have questions about my surgery feel free to ask.
01/14 Partial meniscectomy medial/lateral right knee, lateral menisci discoid

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 450
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Meniscus post op
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
I started gentle exercises, heel slides, slr, quads sets 24 hours after my lateral menisectomy in 2010. My surgeon signed me off work for 3 weeks, no driving for 3 weeks. Crutches used in and out for first week, on and off for the next 2 weeks, and also for first week back at work. Physio a couple of times, at week 1 and week 3 I think.

Compression bandage off after 24 hours, stitches out at 10 days I think, ted stockings for two weeks as hospital protocol

Every one and every surgeon is different...also every country. I also had patella chondroplasty at that time
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:50:52 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Thx Vickster.  Decided to stay home so I could keep the leg elevated and iced.  Still feeling good.  I love the ice pack that I got at the Surgery center.  It has an opening with an air tight clip that you can refill with ice.  It has 4 strings so that you can tie it around the affected knee.  It is somewhat insulted so you get the perfect amount of cold.  It's called Ice Bag - Large/Ties, made by Cardinal Health.  Funny thing it says for single use only, but the recycler in me disregarded that message.  If it gets punctured I'll try to find something similar as this the greatest invention for icing your knee.  Still taking Norco every 4 hours.  Hope to be off the meds by Sunday.  We'll see how it goes.  If it hurts I'll stay on the meds.  Have a good weekend.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Swelling seems to be lessening and with that I'm gaining more ROM.  Pain is tolerable and I'm definitely going to work Monday. 

I do wonder if the tears in my meniscus have been compensated for by putting more weight on my left side.  I also have two herniated discs in my low back left side.  My first visit to the OS was for my left knee, but he didn't find any issues and recommend I continue with my work out regimen and build my calf, quad, and hamstring muscles.  I'm anxious to see OS on Thursday as I want to get back to working out.  I'm signed up for a sprint triathalon in the middle of June.  I'm motivated to get my strength back and finish the race.

Does anyone remember how long it was before you were no longer nervous to put weight on your operated knee?  Does your body actually know when you're ready?  Just curious what other's experience was.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Operated leg still has some swelling and pain.  Today a new development, my calf muscle is sore.

Good leg is sore, dull achy and left low back.  Anyone experience pain in good leg post op. 

Yesterday was a full day with no crutches.  Did not do anything major, probably did a few hundred steps.  Continuing to elevate and ice.  Will do that and watch the superbowl game tonight.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:28:50 AM »
Back to work today.  Pain seems to be in check as well as the swelling.  Icing it a little bit then heading to bed.  OS appointment on Thursday.  Hopefully I get the all clear to resume exercising.  I realize I'll have to start out slow.  But hope to be a 100% in a few weeks.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:17 AM »
Still some moderate pain.  It feels tender when I take certain steps, especially going down stairs.  Been very cautious when walking and moving around.  Still icing when I can kind of tough at work and I'm sitting.  Anyone have some good tips for icing while at work?

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:08:19 AM »
Saw the OS and had stitches removed.  OS says I can start exercises nothing that is too jarring(running) for the first week or so back.  I wanted to try and go to a cross training class he said to hold off for another week to allow the surgical site to completely heal.  He was concerned about working out at a public place since in theory the arthroscopic entry could be a pathway for MRSA.  Still icing and elevating when I get home.  Each day knee seems to be getting stronger.  Scheduled to run a 5k charity run to support scleroderma education and research in May.  Hope to be back in running form by then.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »
So tomorrow is two weeks post op.  Haven't iced in a few days.  Tomorrow I'll be going to a cross training class.  No running, no jumping, and any squats, knee flexion exercises will be modified as needed.  We'll see how it goes.  Very happy with the recovery.

Offline rbfd19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
So I worked with a personal trainer, Wed., Thur., and Sat.  It's in a class setting and my trainer is aware of my situation.  All went well, but I was very surprised about how week my right leg, quads, hamstring, and knee were the 1st day.  Each subsequent day got better.  I'm probably at 40%.  Still no running or jumping for another 2 weeks.  The pre-op pain and post-op pain are both gone.  Although I'm sore, both upper body and lower body from the workouts.  That's something I will take.

support