Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help reading MRI report  (Read 659 times)

Offline pants9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help reading MRI report
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
Hi, I recently had an MRI on my left knee and I got the report back today but I am unsure if I need surgery or not. The main sentence I am concerned about is: "There is complete mid substance disruption of the anterior cruciate ligament."

Does this mean I need surgery for my ACL?

Thanks

Offline JiuJitsuKneeGuy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Before you are the hammer, you must be the nail.
Re: Help reading MRI report
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »
Welcome to the club...pretty sure a complete mid substance disruption means a complete tear in the middle of your ACL not the attachment points on the femur or tibia ... but I could be wrong ... anywho welcome to the club! Plenty of good people on here that will fill you in and answer lots of questions!! They have for me!!

Good Luck and research the heck outta all your options!

J
One ACL stretch and meniscus tear left knee, One ACL complete rupture right knee, Anterior Tibialus Tendon Graft!

New 2015 Medial Meniscus Bucket handle tear. Having repair on the 1/27/15

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Help reading MRI report
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »
A complete disruption would be a complete tear. Whether you require surgery or not for that depends on your age and lifestyle and your surgeon. There are people who live successfully (even athletes, though they are rare) without an ACL. Most people end up having surgery to reconstruct it so that they can continue to live active lives. It won't heal on it's own and not having the surgery usually means knee instability