Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Alta Procedures?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline thefridaygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Alta Procedures?
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
7 years ago I was officially diagnosed with having patella alta on both knees after several frustrating years of randomly falling on my side due to them popping out causing me to lose my balance. I was forewarned that if I do not do anything about it, I will develop osteoarthritis early in life because my patellas are rubbing on my cartilage and thinning them out overtime since they do not properly fit in the trochlear groove.

The proposed procedure was to cut the muscle from the side of my leg, to position the kneecap lower and this would cause limited mobility on my part because I wouldnt be able to fully fold my legs up to my thighs and I was told that rehab would take around 6 months or so... per knee. And this scares the bejesus out of me because this means I have to take at least a year from my life for rehab since both knees cannot be operated together which was why I have chosen to do without it for so long. But now, I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I might need to do this soon because I am frankly tired of the anxiety of falling down everytime I walk and I just wanna start living and going outdoors and just being more active in general. My knee condition has prevented me from doing this ever since I was young.

Anyway, I want to know if there are any other less invasive procedures for this condition? Or maybe more effective surgical procedures other than this? I live in the Philippines and far as I know there's only one reputable orthopedist in my city and he only presented me with this kind of surgery but of course I wanna know if there might be better alternatives.

Will rehab really take 6 months? What am I to expect from therapy? Will I have to learn to walk again? Will it hurt? I dont want to be taken away from my job for too long especially since I just invested in training abroad to enhance my skills and I'd really like to be up and about to maximize this.

Hope to hear from any of you soon. Many thanks

jtcarlto

Re: Patella Alta Procedures?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »
Most times patella alta needs to be corrected by cutting the tendon and lower the patella.  I know Grey Liston had this done (I am almost certain).  You can check out posts from him and see what he ended up doing.  He got back to near 100% before he suffered an unfortunate accident.  GL

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Patella Alta Procedures?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »
The procedure to correct patella alta is called a tibial tuburcle osteotomy. They cut the bone at the tibial tuburcle and move the patella tendon down. Many have had the procedure. TTT for short in these boards.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening