Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Are there actually any ACL Deficient Copers out there??  (Read 19199 times)

Offline libero6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: Are there actually any ACL Deficient Copers out there??
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
My surgeon recommended the FIFA 11+ warm-up program and since then I have been using it before games. It has a lot of over lap with the SMSMF PEP program I posted earlier and is pretty much the same program outlined in Dr. Marx's book, The ACL Solution. The FIFA 11+ website has detailed photos and videos on how to do the exercises properly though.

http://f-marc.com/11plus/home/

On another note, I just signed up for my first tournament since injury. Coming up in 3 weeks. I'll be playing up to 7 games in two days so it should give the knee a real test.

Offline marznc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 02:32:34 AM »
My surgeon recommended the FIFA 11+ warm-up program and since then I have been using it before games. It has a lot of over lap with the SMSMF PEP program I posted earlier and is pretty much the same program outlined in Dr. Marx's book, The ACL Solution. The FIFA 11+ website has detailed photos and videos on how to do the exercises properly though.

http://f-marc.com/11plus/home/

On another note, I just signed up for my first tournament since injury. Coming up in 3 weeks. I'll be playing up to 7 games in two days so it should give the knee a real test.

The FIFA 11+ videos are really good.  Thanks for the link.

I've been having fun rock climbing lately.  Both indoors and out.  Feels much more natural than six months ago.  Interesting since I haven't really been doing much organized fitness workouts since June.  I may do more agility work when things around my house slow down in the fall.

Offline kimfit

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Hey there all,
I'm sorry about your tear and it's a really difficult decision.  Found this site helpful through my plight.

Here's my decision and why: ACl and MCL~both complete ruptures on July 16,2013.  Had very healthy athletic knees and have been pro-active keeping them that way.  This is what I do for a living: rehab, fitness, aquatics and agility athlete.  Had a freak fall doing home improvement.  Right leg.  5 surgeons, 5 opinions, 3 hardware options, 2 graft options, 2 surgeons the best my area has to offer.  One even said it was only grade 2 MCL tear and ACL "partial" and don't worry functional, don't have surgery.  3 said based on my age, 51, go with allograft.  I have longevity (100yrs +) in my family.  Decided to go with the surgeon I liked and trusted most.  Thought it seemed logical to use my own tissue if possible  I had nothing against allograft.  Was concerned about having MCL repaired.  Very controversial (only 1 surgeon said it was necessary) and everyone just wanted to treat the ACL, which I found aggravating.  The MCL was horribly painful.  Ultimately, I listened to others who experienced ACL plights in my sport.

I am NOT the type to wear a brace while competing or even exercising for that matter.  Nor do I want further damage to the otherwise healthy joint. 

After injury I didn't feel like the knee would give out, and even was still exercising 4x weekly after 3 weeks of MCL healing, I still questioned the ACL ability.  When I would turn to get in and out of my SUV, or on and off the toilet (sorry, female here), I constantly felt the knee tweak thus pain on inside and out.  Also could feel the same pivoting to throw a ball.  Definitely didn't run.  Did a ton of aquatic pre-hab...jogging in place, strength, jumping, etc. The most pain, terrible shin burning came when trying to do any lying face up hamstring work. 

For me: ultimately didn't want to risk future injury and same pain on pivoting.  I'm now 2 weeks post-op doing great but walking is a challenge.  I don't regret the decision a bit. My season is December through May and I could see tons of muscle atrophy even 1 month post accident.  Now was the best down time for me too.
Wish you the best.

Offline libero6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
This past weekend, I played in my first tournament since injury. I'm quite happy with my performance. I was able to cut, sprint, and change directions HARD for all 6 games without the knee complaining. It's really strange, but my ACL-less knee feels as good as my "good" knee. I have yet to experience any instability - even when I'm cutting and pivoting without my brace on.

As for rehab, I'm in the gym 2-3 times a week strengthening the surrounding muscles and also doing field/agility/sport specific exercises 2-3 times a week.

I've committed to a Division I Fall league team and signed up for another tournament in October. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. 

Offline jeffmc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
This past weekend, I played in my first tournament since injury. I'm quite happy with my performance. I was able to cut, sprint, and change directions HARD for all 6 games without the knee complaining. It's really strange, but my ACL-less knee feels as good as my "good" knee. I have yet to experience any instability - even when I'm cutting and pivoting without my brace on.

As for rehab, I'm in the gym 2-3 times a week strengthening the surrounding muscles and also doing field/agility/sport specific exercises 2-3 times a week.

I've committed to a Division I Fall league team and signed up for another tournament in October. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

How's coping going for you ? 

Offline libero6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
Still coping :) but considering getting surgery.

I've played for 3 years at a high level without any issues but the past two years I had two instances of the knee give way (both during a hard plant and cut)

It recovers in a few weeks usually. It still feels very strong and doesn't bother me now. If I stop playing competitive I probably would continue the non surgical option but I'd like to play at a high level for as long as I could so I'm going in for another surgical consult

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Just to add to this, I was a totally happy coper for c10 years but last year lost c75% of medial meniscus after a bucket handle tear which jammed my knee.  I didn't do ball sports whilst I had no ACL (just because I do other sports) but could run in the mountains, climb, orienteer etc.  The meniscus loss seemed to destabilise my knee though so I took the plunge and had ACLR this year.  Working my way through rehab and making good progress.  Best wishes all.
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

Offline jeffmc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

I've played for 3 years at a high level without any issues but the past two years I had two instances of the knee give way (both during a hard plant and cut)

It recovers in a few weeks usually. It still feels very strong and doesn't bother me now. If I stop playing competitive I probably would continue the non surgical option but I'd like to play at a high level for as long as I could so I'm going in for another surgical consult

I am in the exact same situation.... Initial injury Nov 2014, going in for a surgical consultation booked for Dec 8th even though I can currently play soccer recreationally. Sigh. Such tough decisions one must make. How old are you ?

Offline libero6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 11:53:33 PM »

I am in the exact same situation.... Initial injury Nov 2014, going in for a surgical consultation booked for Dec 8th even though I can currently play soccer recreationally. Sigh. Such tough decisions one must make. How old are you ?

What did you end up doing, jeffmc? I'm a Female in my early thirties. I'm still coping and playing pivoting sports competitively though I did have about 4 minor tweaks (~1 week rehab to get me playing again) in the past 3 years.

At my last surgical consult, my surgeon quoted ~60% successful return to sport rates following ACLr - this seems accurate based on ACLr outcomes of my teammates and other athletes in the community.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s10195-018-0516-9

Still on the fence about ACLr given the more recent research.

support