Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 wks post op medial menisectomy/partial synovectomy RICE help  (Read 2445 times)

Offline magg8s0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm two weeks post-op from my surgery. Been fighting a battle with swelling and ended up having 66cc's of blood drawn out of the knee at post-op appointment 8 days post-op. Doc said he removed a large amount of vascular tissue (synovial membrane) hence all the swelling. This was the part of the surgery that was a surprise to me since I went in for a medial menisectomy.

I'm worried my ice/compression strategy is not working as effectively as possible. I wonder if there is a better product combo ice/compression cuff that any other post-ops have had good results. Right now I am using standard rectangle flat ceramic cold pack, one on each side of the knee every two hours/two minutes.

My PT advised last week I use a compression wrap with low stretch on the operative knee as well. I'm still seeing a good amount of swelling near the lateral top portal whole incision.

Any help on ice/compression regimes, general post-op menisectomy/synovectomy is greatly appreciative.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: 2 wks post op medial menisectomy/partial synovectomy RICE help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »
Hi there,

How are you doing with elevating your knee?  It needs to be above your heart-on the arm of the sofa, not just on a pillow or two.  At night it needs to be elevated as well.  I found that by building up a wedge of blankets that go from your hips to the end of the bed with an elevation of about 8 inches you can turn on your side and move around while still keeping your leg elevated.  I went back to work very quickly after my meniscus surgery and 6 weeks after each PKR but continued to elevate at night to get rid of the swelling from being on my feet all day.

For icing an ice machine that circulates water completely around the knee is my favorite.  Check on Craigslist to see if someone has one available near you.  My doctor automatically provided one for me with each surgery, so maybe you can just ask him for one now that you aren't progressing as quickly as expected.  Second choice is a couple of ziplocs full of ice.  It seems to last longer than the flat cold packs.

Healing takes time and varies from person to person, but if things get worse rather than better don't hesitate to get hold of your doctor.  The compression wrap is a great idea, but try to shower at night so you can put it on before getting out of bed in the morning.  Even a little while on your feet will allow the swelling to start.

Good luck and good healing.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline magg8s0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Hello and thank you for your response.

I've been consistently getting it elevated above waist throughout the day but could be doing better with above heart when at home. My PT has added edema KT tape to aid in reducing the swelling.

I have a tibial plateau stress fracture that they believe might be complicating the rehab with swelling. ROM and strength is returning but I feel some walking discomfort with the amount of fluid.

I used the wrap before bed and through sleeping and saw a great reduction this morning upon waking. Going to look into getting the ice/compression device.

Cheers,

Maggie

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Great to hear that your swelling went down with the wrap.  The KT is a godsend too-my PT used it last knee to help deal with the bruising and it worked like a charm.  You also might want to ask about lymphatic massage when you see your PT.  Gentle stroking from mid-calf past the knee to the groin for 10-20 minutes can help move the fluids back out of your leg. 

Hope that tomorrow is even better!

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »
I hope you are doing better today :)  I definitely agree with a GameReady, Polar Ice type machine!  They are amazing!!!!

I might also suggest the very unflattering compression stocks that they put on you in the hospital.  I know they won't win in a fashion contest, but they do do a great job of keeping swelling down, fluids moving, and go from groin down to toes (you can cut them to better fit your needs ;)).

I hope and pray you heal up quickly and perfectly!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline magg8s0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Thanks for your reply, slowly getting better. I've taken to wearing my black compression running tights almost 24/7 and what a difference it makes. After surgery I was wearing the stocking, the tights are about as tight as the stocking and I can wear them out with more fashion ease.

I'm very interested in getting the polar ice machine. How long did you use it after your surgery? I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op now but could see it being useful when I return to activity as well, since it seems swelling could return as I increase my activities.

I still have some tingling, numb, painful areas on the lateral side near the top port, but the swelling has reduced about half in the days since my first post. I've also completely come off the pain meds which the doctor explained I might need for longer than expected because of the swelling bleeding due to the synovectomy.

support