Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: bone bruising  (Read 1597 times)

Offline uk phil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
bone bruising
« on: January 20, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »
Hi, any advice or comments would be much appreciated.......

I have had a problem with my left knee since January 2002, when my knee was hit by a hockey ball.  I have had 2 MRI scans (in Sept 2002 and April 2003) and 1 Bone Scan (in Oct 2003), which have shown bone bruising (on the lateral side at the top of the tibia) but no cartilage damage.  

The main symptom is acute pain when flexing the knee when weight-supporting (e.g. going up and down stairs, squats).  My consultant surgeon, who I have seen for over 18 months, has not been able to recommend any treatment, but advised me to rest and allow "nature to take its course".  However, despite
several prolonged periods of rest (several months at a time, when I have done only very mild exercise like walking and gentle cycling) over the last 2 years, the symptoms have recurred whenever I have begun to exercise again.  

Otherwise I am healthy, with a good balanced diet, but am getting increasingly frustrated that my symptoms are persisting and, especially, at not being able to exercise properly !

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: bone bruising
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:45:31 AM »
Hello uk phil,

Is the acute pain you get in your left knee a very sharp pain that then goes away after a few seconds. It could be a number of things that other Members will be able to advise you on.  Have you thought of getting a 2nd opinion from another OS, as 24 months is a long time with knee pain that does not seem to be going away.

Has your OS ever given a cortosone injection into your knee to see if it eases the pain. Is your knee stopping you from running & walk at a slower pace with a limp.

Are you seeing a NHS or Private OS as you can see a top Private OS for around £120 that goes down in price with 2nd Consultation. Has your current OS ever mentioned Key Hole Surgery as most OS's seem to do, if other treatments do not work.

It needs sorting out sooner rather then later as 2 years with acute knee pain is too long. If it was bad bruising surely it would have healed by now.

Hope this posting is of some use as I do not know very much compared other Members and keep the board posted with your progress over the next few weeks, that is if you want to,  Nick :){2004}:)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:02:57 AM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 01:39:05 PM »
Phil,

Hi, I would definately seek a second opinion, 2 years is a very long time to put up with severe knee pain which is obviously limiting you in what you like to do.   I think you need further tests to find out exactly what's going on in the knee, perhaps you could mention this to your surgeon and let him know that you're not happy with waiting for so long without any change.  Sometimes nature needs a helping hand!  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Natalie
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:40:32 PM by nmcbride »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline uk phil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 02:03:57 PM »
Thanks Nick, Natalie for your replies.  I agree with you that 24 months is too long and I have been questioning his diagnosis !  He has re-reviewed the scans and cannot see any abnormalities except for the bone bruising (e.g. no cartilage damage).  He has passed the scans to a couple of other OSs for their opinions but they've agreed that there's only the bone bruising there !  I'm having one of my periodic rests from any running; i'm going to give it a couple more weeks and resume light running.   If I still have the same problem then I think i'll take your advice and get another opinion.  I've probably been too patient !

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-binRe: bone bruising
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 02:22:09 PM »
Hello Phil,

I reccomend that you go and see a Private OS at a knee clinic close to were you live and will give you the following link of a posting I sent to another Member regarding seeing one of the top OS's in UK.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=YaBB;action=display;num=1068139320

It cost me £160 for 1st consultation & £70 for 2nd at Droitwich Knee Clinic but are seeing one of the top OS's in UK.

Hope this posting will be of some help, Nick :){2004}:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support