Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Reconstruction advice needed  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Bellespell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Reconstruction advice needed
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I need your help please. I had an accident on the 30th March, below is my story so far:

30th March: Accident happened
1st April: Flew home, went straight to A&E at Chelsea & Westminster who told me that I had no ligament damage and refered me to physio
2nd April: Went to see my GP who examined me and said she was referring me to have an MRI scan as she believed
9th April: MRI scan right knee, the findings are below:

The medial and lateral menisci are intact.

The anterior cruciate ligament is ill-defined and there is anterior translation of the tibia on the femur consistent with a partial if not complete rupture. The posterior cruciate ligament in intact.

Intact lateral and medial collateral ligaments.

The quadriceps and patellar tendons appear normal.

The is bone marrow oedema in the posterolateral tibial plateau and to a lesser extent in the peripheral aspects of the femoral condyles consistent with a pivot shift pattern of injury moderate joint effusion. There is some loss of the retropatellar cartilage.

Conclusion: partial if not complete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament

Recommendation: orthopaedic referral

So, it's been 27 days since my accident and I'm due to see both Dr Charles Gibbons and Dr Nicola Maffuli on the 8th and 9th May. My questions are:

1. Has anyone had an ACL reconstruction by either doctor and what was your experience?
2. What physio would you recommend before the op. I've been doing some, but not enough I don't think
3. I'm going on holiday from the 27th April - 7th May, should I swim?
4. Do you think it's worth investing in a Aircast Knee Cryo/Cuff with Cooler, or just stick to peas?
5. Should I wear my leg brace at all times unless doing the exercises?
6. I've read a lot about people being unable to straighten their leg properly. Whilst sitting at my laptop working I've been resting my foot on another chair and letting my knee straighten...good or bad??

Anything else you might think useful?

Many, many thanks in advance 

Katie

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL Reconstruction advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
I can't speak to the doctors since I'm in Canada, but here are some thoughts on your other questions...

2. The "Progressive Rehab" sections here give some great information on physio exercises that you can be doing while you prepare for surgery: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/cruciate-ligament-rehabilitation-course-lesley-hall-msc-mcsp. The most important things are to work on regaining full range of motion, and then on strengthening. I'd recommend seeing a physiotherapist for at least one session to guide you on the best exercises while you're still recovering from your injury. Generally the recommendation is to avoid open chain exercises when you're ACL deficient.

3. Absolutely! Swimming is great as it's something you can do without putting strain on your injured knee. Stick to flutter kicks, though - whip kicks and frog kicks aren't great when you're recovering from an ACL injury (or surgery).

4. I bought a Cryocuff for my surgery and was glad I did. Peas will do the job just as well but the Cryocuff is much more efficient, and when you're in the early days of recovery you'll be very grateful for anything that makes life easier (like not having to keep going back and forth to the freezer for ice/colder peas).

5. Check in with your doctor about this. Generally I wouldn't expect the answer to be yes unless your leg is very unstable, but it really does depend on your individual injury and how it's progressing.

6. Good! Regaining full range of motion before surgery is recommended, and extension is more important than flex because you need normal extension to walk without limping.

Best of luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support