Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT plus MPFL reconstruction  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Easykneesy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: TTT plus MPFL reconstruction
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
Noooo, bad about the burn!! Very unlucky! Is it feeling ok?

Ha ha, I took my brace of while I was sat on my bed. Ive started my 'scar reduction moisturising program!' So I took the opportunity to check out the damage, its not pretty. my quads have all but disappeared. When I try do the knee to the bed thing (also no idea of the official name!), absolutely nothing happens! I read on here though that if you try to stimulate the muscle by giving it a light tap it can help, and I actually do get a response after trying that. Its like it wakes it up or something.

Just got to keep trying!!

Keep smiling.

x

1994-First knee dislocation
2006 - LR for recurrent knee dislocations
2012 - Arthroscopy for fractured patella/exploration, following dislocation
April 2013 - MPFL, TTT, LR and VMO advancement

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »
'scar reduction moisturising program!' - ha wow that's a tongue twister!!  :o
what is it exactly?

OOH thanks for the tip about tapping the muscle must give it a try!

It doesn't feel too bad, I've got the pain in my knee to distract it haha!

Post op day: (I don't even know, my brain's not working!)

Not bad today.  Managed to do some physio.  Bit nervous about getting paper stitches and sutures removed on Tuesday (Thought sutures dissolved!!!!!)

Some more pain in the thigh during the night (the back of the thigh) but not as bad as it was.

Quite tired today,  but did a lot of walking yesterday so a rest is probably a good thing :-)

Offline Easykneesy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
:-D I am just using palmers cocoa butter several times a day. I don't know if it works or not, but people seem to love it in reviews!

Some sutures do dissolve, but a lot of the time, if they use ones that dissolve on the surface, some surgeons want them removing early as it makes a neater scar. My wound is sutures internally with dissolvable ones, and then was glued and steri-stripped at the surface.

I was really nervous about having the paper sutures taken off. I am a nurse too! I wanted to do it at home myself, but was worried if it had not healed properly then I wouldn't have anything to redo it. The most painful thing was the dressing sticking to the lovely 2 weeks worth of leg hair growth! Luckily most of that was on the numb side, so it is useful for somethings.

I actually felt better once the dressing was off as the skin felt like it was being pulled before.

Take it easy.

Char
1994-First knee dislocation
2006 - LR for recurrent knee dislocations
2012 - Arthroscopy for fractured patella/exploration, following dislocation
April 2013 - MPFL, TTT, LR and VMO advancement

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
I bought that Bio Oil stuff to put on my scar. Just started using though. Wanted to make sure my incision was healed and scab mostly off. Is Cocoa butter better?

Don't worry too much about suture removal. I'm not sure about you but my incision area is still numb. If yours is too then you might not feel it when he removes them. I had sutures removed from a nasty laceration on my finger and thought it would hurt really bad. It didn't! But you can always take some pain meds 30-45min prior to your appt if you are worried.

I had the dissolvable sutures and steri strips. Had I known the steri strip stuff would have cause nasty blisters on my leg I would have asked for regular sutures.

Get some rest !
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
Vitamin D works really well too!  Although, it can be sticky, but there are creams that have large doses of vitamin D in it.  My left arm looks like a Frankenstein monster due to so many surgeries/skin grafts, but the vitamin D has done wonders in smoothing out scars (especially skin graft scars, :P) and blending them in.

God Bless!!!

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Post op day 12 & 13

Day 12: Managed some walking (with crutches mind you!) out today and went for a drink with my friend.  I learnt that dresses and immobiliseres don't go together, the damn thing kept falling down every 2 minutes.

Day 13:  Soooooo sleepy today and very tearful.  I think in my own head that a lot more time has passed than it really has and in my head i'm like going back to work next week or something even though it'll be another 4 before I can get back to the Montessori teaching.  Pain is getting a lot better now.  It's mainly just first thing in the morning that is quite painful.   

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
Exactly 2 weeks post op today.

Thinking about it its been a very long two weeks but I'm very pleased with how things are.  It's not too painful. I even managed a bit of sleeping on my side this afternoon and got back on track with a bit of physio today.

I am getting stitching removed tomorrow which I am a little nervous about, but once it's done I don't have to worry about it again! Might go and visit my Montessori Kids tomorrow, for a bit of a boost.  It will be good to see them. :-)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
Post op day 15.

Really??? Is it really only 15 days?? Seems like a lifetime ago!!

Went to get my steristrips off today, lucky for me the sutures are disolvable :D Bumped in to my old college tutor there - small world!

Getting the steristrips off wasn't bad except in one particular spot. 

It was the first time I got to see the scars - very neat job!!

A good bit of pain in the shin bone today but not too much in the knee. Have my first physio appointment on Friday which should be fun! Still numb in my 2 fingertips :S

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
Post op days 16,17, and 18

Wow it's been quite a few days

Day 16 I began experiencing shortness of breath and dizziness.  Did not feel well at all.  I went to the doctor who said it could be a blood clot post surgery and asked me to go to the emergency department in the hospital.

Day 17 went up to the hospital.  They did  a blood test to see if I have ever had a clot in the blood, thankfully that came back negative but they said they cannot rule out a clot completely.  They didn't want to let me go because everytime they checked my pulse I was tachycardic. They wanted me to stay overnight in the hospital last night, but that would have meant sleeping on a chair all night - not what you need when you are in a leg brace!  So i asked to go home.  They agreed to let me go home on the condition I come straight back in if I have any chest pain or difficulty breathing. 

Day 18:  So tired today. Have my first proper physio appointment since surgery today so a bit nervous but excited to get going!

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
Post op days 19 and 20

Physio went so well on Friday.  Got to an 80 degree bend compared to 30 degrees last week so can't ask for much better than that! I had the electrical pulse treatment thingy majiggy (name>>) for 15 minutes - that wasn't good fun!  She said the muscles in my thigh are 'on their holidays' haha so have to work from the ground up in terms of that!

Had some fun trying to get down moving escalators yesterday! felt quite a few pulls on the knee and some pain but nothing major.  heart rate slowing down today which is good :) some pain at the sides of the knee but nothing unbearable by any means x

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
so 3 weeks and 2 days post op now.

had second physio session yesterday - finally got my quads to work and got to 90 degree bend, also got the brace unlocked and crutches properly adjusted for my height so that is less pain on the shoulders so pretty happy right now :-)

Have my first post op appointment tomorrow with my orthopedic surgeon, interested to hear what he says seeing as I cannot remember anything of what he said when i was coming around from the anaesthetic. :P

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
Hi,
Sounds like it going really well for you!
It took me a long time to get my quads working and even now (at almost 9 weeks post op) it's still hard, the muscles shake whilst doing straight leg raises.
Good luck with your post op appointment - it's really useful to find out exactly what has been done and some of the minor niggles you may have (odd areas of pain, numbness) will make sense. It also helps to understand your surgeons expectation at this point in your recovery - I felt I wasn't doing very well but my surgeon was ecstatic!
Best wishes,
Debbie

2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Thanks Debbie CJ

Doctor was delighted with progress - he did tell me though not to push myself too hard, that it will get there, but in is own time. 

He said that this is the only surgery he has done on somebody that he has used two methods to stabilise the knee in one operation - also I am only patient of his to have ever redislocated (oops haha) - guess multiple procedures aren't very common with him!

He told me that he will remove the screws when everything is healed.  So happy that he is happy and I can start back swimming in about 4 weeks time.  :-)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »
Glad things are looking good for you  :). Swimming is so nice on your injured leg.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
28 days post op woohoo

doing really well, can bend to 110 degrees, moving much faster now on the crutches and feeling better in myself.#

most pain comes from my shin bone!!