Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT plus MPFL reconstruction  (Read 7767 times)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
TTT plus MPFL reconstruction
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
Just home from the hospital.

Doctor did my surgery on Monday.  He did the osteotomy on the left knee but found that it was still unstable even after that so he did a MPFL reconstruction as well.  Pain level when I woke up was very little as I was quite out of it.  Post op day 1 (yesterday) the pain started kicking in but I vomitted after nearly every type of pain medication given so unfortunately I can only have a very mild pain killer.

Today is post-op day 2 and I was allowed home from the hospital,  the pain is by no means unbearable but the stiffness is quite bad and my stomach is still quite ill which is making things a bit awkward.  I am hoping the stiffness will wear off soon so I can be a bit more mobile.  Glad it's all behind me now!

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Re: TTT plus MPFL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Glad you are doing ok! Can they give you any anti-nausea meds? You can always ask if you think it will help. Take your time getting mobile and just rest and elevate.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
Thanks for reply

I am waiting for my gp to call and i'll ask if she can leave me a prescription for anti nausea.

I had my first PT session yesterday and am fully weight bearing with crutches (not without pain!) I am doing the physio religiously every 2 hours so hopefully it will speed things up  - i was specifically told no straight leg raises and I am only allowed to knee bend when a physio is present.

I start proper physio in 2 weeks time after I have paper stitches removed - which I am worried about!

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »
Post op day 3:

Not feeling too bad today,  some pain at the sides of my knee, and of course the shin bone but nothing I can't handle.  I have had 3 major surgeries on my ear since 2007 which involves a part of the bone being removed and the pain scale is about the same. maybe less because it is not on my face.  So in that respect I am lucky as it's nothing I have not experienced (pain wise) before. 

Done some physio exercises this morning.  Still a little nausea but not as bad as yesterday.  I'm finding it awkward in terms of getting things to eat because I cannot function with one crutch yet so I kind of have to stand up when I am eating (to avoid carrying to table) and then I just get fed up and give up - might lose a few pounds this way  ;D

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
Post op day 4:
Had a very bad nights sleep last night.  Lots of pain in my thigh which made it difficult to stay still.  It feels more like muscular pain though so hopefully when I am a bit more mobile and have a bit more energy for longer 'walks' this should calm down a little bit.

On the plus side I am still doing well with the physio and noticing that I am a lot more stable getting up to go to the bathroom etc.  Will try some ice today.

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »
Post op day 5:

Much better night last night.

Put a large pillow under my leg last night and that really helped ease the pain is was having in my thigh.

Tried some ice yesterday, that was good.  I am having trouble with pushing my knee down to the back of the bed, don't feel like I'm getting anywhere fast with that but I guess it all just takes time.

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
Sorry you had a bad night the other night. Glad you got some rest last night though. Yeah definitely take your time with the exercises. I know all of our Drs have different protocols but this early I think it's ok to take it easy, rest and not worry too much. Hang in there. You are almost through the worst of it.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »
Post op day 6:  Had a very bad night last night.  Couldn't eat and a mild temperature. I was that tired I couldn't carry the frozen peas to my room to ice my knee with the two crutches and i cried for about 5 minutes  :P so I ended up going down stairs in the apartment block and asking for help to carry the peas to my room!

All this seemed to accentuate my pain lol but feeling better today. 

Still some foot swelling and ankle swelling - the joys! More on top of PT today :-)

Thanks JessJess - that is music to my ears!! :-)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Post op:  Day 7

Wow!! What a difference even 40 minutes good uninterrupted sleep can do for you!! Feel soo much better and also dealing with the pain better.   My breathing is still funny from the temperature the other night so going to see the doctor in the morning if it is still the same.  Also this is the first time I have eaten something without throwing half of it away so my body is coming round slowly but surely after the anaesthetic.

Had 2 nightmares last night that I felt (and I genuinely felt the pain if that makes sense!) the kneecap subluxing and a sat bolt upright in bed both times, only to remember it was weighed down by the brace :D

Didn't do too much physio today, seem quite stiff today.  Hopefully the pain will ease off in next couple of days so I don't feel so awkward walking around.

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
Post op day 8:

Went to the doctor today as was still feeling feverish - turns out its just a nasty ear infection that occured after the op (trials of having bad ears!)

Went to a shopping centre with my sister today - found it very difficult to walk around on the crutches - with every "wrong" step I felt a pull on my knee (not a sensation of instability just sore!) and felt very nervous and absolutely exhausted.

Probably did too much too soon but know now what my limits are at the moment. 

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
Post op day 9:

Had a frustrating day today as I kept losing my footing on the crutches and getting a pulling sensation in the kneecap and sides of knee and I was worried it was going to pop out.

Knee won't move at all to do pushing down exercises  :'( but hey ya have to take the bad with the good.

Doctor prescribed me some mild sleeping tablets as I am finding it so hard to sleep on my back and having recurring nightmares of the knee cap subluxing. I have not taken one yet but I may tonight.  I am worried though in case I fall out of bed hahah but I guess I would not have been prescribed them if the doctor didn't think it was a good idea. 

I can see that there is an end in sight to the unmanagable pain now. I'd say another few days and it'll get much more tolerable and just be uncomfortable xxx

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Wow wow wow!! What a difference one sleeping pill makes!! Slept for 10 hours straight and feel amazing!

Was able to do my exercises with no problems this morning. Knee is not as stiff this morning and I am taking my time with the walking. 

Swelling still up but bruising is going down a lot.  So overall I am happy happy happy! :)

Offline Easykneesy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
I totally agree about the good nights sleep! I am nearly 3 weeks post TTT/MPFL/LR/VMO advancement, and have only just the last few nights, been able to sleep properly!

It was really getting me down, I had no heart to even try my physio! How are you managing with your exercises? I dont seem to be able to get any movement from my quads at all, they are barely existent any more! I am just trying to focus on keeping my ROM up, then at least I can work on the muscles after!

Glad you are feeling more positive!

Char
1994-First knee dislocation
2006 - LR for recurrent knee dislocations
2012 - Arthroscopy for fractured patella/exploration, following dislocation
April 2013 - MPFL, TTT, LR and VMO advancement

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »
I'm sorry you have such difficulty sleeping - let alone the nightmares :o  (hate those!).  So hard to retrain our body post surgery to move like normal, let alone the mental and emotional trauma that for the most part, is denied.  We just assume it is all a part of the journey (which it is...), but the reality is, there is a huge emotional/mental impact with injury/disability - surgery - healing - then, getting back to a functioning routine trusting the limb. ::)

I'm glad you were able to get something to help you sleep (and that it worked so well ;)).  Keep on healing, you are doing a fine job!

God Bless!!

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
Thanks EasyKneesy and misty

Easykneesy:  Well the quads are v hard, they are pretty much non existent so it's hard. Sometimes when I am doing the knee pushing down to the bed exercise (name??) lol I can do it, other times the knee won't move at all Just have to be patient I guess! How are you managing yours?

Mistyd:  Thanks for support, nice to have people like that on here!

Well this afternoon I managed to drop a pot of boiling water on my good foot thanks to me losing my footing on the crutch my elbow hit the handle of the pot and crash! Got a fine big burn so that kind of frustrated me but all ok now!

Also have lost the feeling in my pinky finger tip and fourth finger tip on left hand! I also feel like I'm starting to lose a lot of strength in left hand!! It's a scary sensation because I am struggling to zip up coat pockets etc!