Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My PKR Experience  (Read 20957 times)

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
Re: My PKR Experience
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
Saw the OS for the last time in regards to my left knee PKR.  He is very happy with the result as am I.  I think he was surprised I have had no loss of flexion or knee bend.  He said I should be happy with my implant for years.  We'll see.

Discussed the plans for my right knee.  OS wants to wait a bit before doing any thing.  He says I still have cushion there although he sees the slightly displaced medial meniscus, bakers cyst and bone edema as well.  He also said my knee is getting flex to the outside and if we wait to long he won't be able to do a PKR because they can't correct the misalignment.  I told him I would like to preserve as much as my own joint as possible so we agreed to take another look at it in November

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 08:45:30 PM »
Well 8 months since my left PKR.  Happy to say everything is still working well.  My last x-ray showed some cement had broken off and is floating around in my knee.  OS didn't seem to worried about it so I guess I shouldn't either.

I have scheduled a PKR of my right knee for December 3 of this year.  I will be so glad when that happens as the pain is nearly intolerable. Hoping he can do the PKR but he won't know for sure until he opens it up and starts sizing the implant and straightening the joint.  If he can't align my knee properly it's going to be a TKR.  I have a planned tripped to Sedona, AZ the day after Christmas so I hope to be back on my feet as quickly as possible.  I will post updates to this thread as I progress in my recovery on my right knee.

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Big day tomorrow.  I am scheduled for my right knee PKR tomorrow at 1:30 PM.  Although I won't know until after the surgery if I had a PKR or TKR.  My joint is out of alignment by about 5 degrees and that is the limit for what the surgeon can correct using a PKR.  He quoted me a 60/40 chance of a TKR when I met him during my pre-op visit two weeks ago.  I think he he's leaning more TKR although he is planing a PKR.  I will find out tomorrow.  Either way, it's another long journey to get back to normal after the procedure.  For sure it's worth it to be finally pain free.  I'll be posting my progress here so people can learn from my experiences. 

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Attitude=Altitude
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »
JOW, glad to hear things went well with your PKR. I hope that the second implant is a PKR as well. I am scheduled for a PKR on Dec. 27th and I am very apprehensive.

Question for you or anyone: How does the pain, discomfort and recovery compare to an ACL reconstruct. post op?

I have had 2 ACLs done, the second to prep for this PKR procedure and I was a really trooper after my second. Returned to work and taking stairs without crutches 4 days post op (prob. a bad idea I know). Everything turned out great, but I have a 2 y.o. and try to lead an active life so I just want to know what to expect.

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
I have officially reached the one year anniversary of my PKR procedure.  I am happy to report that everything is well.  Implant is performing as expected and the only issue I've had is a small piece of cement break off the back side of the implant.  The pain I was experiencing prior to this surgery was immense and I'm glad I made the decision to have the PKR done.  I would certainly recommend this to anyone with uni compartmental damage to their knee.  I have full extension and ROM in my left knee after the PKR so back to where I was prior to the surgery.

Hopefully I can report back over a longer period of time and still have the same positive results.  It would be great if those that have had a PKR would report back their results.  Especially those that have had them done a while ago. 

Offline katiejarr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
I believe JOW is referring to a partial not patella-femoral replacement?  Partial knees seem to have better results and faster recovery. 

JOW did you have a medial compartment partial knee replacement?

What is the difference?

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »
I am happy to report I've had my annual checkup with my OS and my PKR is performing and functioning fine.  No limitation on my activities and now don't need to go back to the OS for another two years.  Currently have 2.7 years with the implement.  Hope to continue to post here with long term updates from time to time.