Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured patellar tendon - what to expect 1-2 weeks after surgery  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Clint

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Hello,

I am not sure if I am in the right place to be posting this. Anyway, I'll proceed as if I am. My name is Clint, I am 35 years old, and I ruptured my left patellar tendon on April 11 when I fell down a flight of stairs. I was taken to the emergency room shortly after my fall and underwent X-Rays, MRI, etc., to determine why my knee was swollen and I could not stand on it. The diagnosis - complete tear of the patellar tendon (about halfway between the patella and the tibia).

Five days after the rupture, I had surgery at the local hospital. When I called my OS the day after the surgery he said it "went very well," adding that he was really happy with the repair and it (recovery) would just be a matter of time. He didn't say how long, but anyway I go back to see him and have the staples removed on Friday. Currently my entire leg - from mid-thigh to ankle - is heavily wrapped and I'm wearing a Bledsoe knee immobilizer.

My OS explained to me that he used a Krackow stitch procedure to sew the tendon back together and then looped everything through three holes that were drilled in my kneecap. Does anyone know if that is a common or effective way to repair a ruptured patellar tendon? I was given a general anesthesia and a "block" injection to numb my leg the day of the operation, and when that injection wore off the following morning is was in quite a bit of pain and I have been taking one or two Hydrocodone (5-325) every four hours to keep my knee from aching.

I know I'll learn a lot more this Friday when I go back to see the OS, but I was hoping those of you who went through a situation similar to mine might be able to offer some tips, or particular "do" or "don't do" advice coming out of your experience. I am glad I found this website - I plan on doing quite a bit of reading here and hopefully interacting with those who are currently recovering from a torn patellar tendon as well as those who have gone through this tough injury in the past.

Thank you,

Clint

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured patellar tendon - what to expect 1-2 weeks after surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »
Hi Clint

You have found the right forum, but the wrong webpage - suggest you repost on Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery, where you will find abuddies out there to give you advice.

So far, you are on the right track - a typical trauma injury, serious with a long rehab.  I am attaching a collection of documents which I have compiled over the years - READ with care as they describe your injury and the rehab process.

ASK questions

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline brandell7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured patellar tendon - what to expect 1-2 weeks after surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
Hi Clint. I can only tell you how mine went back in 02' and I am sure the surgeries and procedures are much more advanced now.

I blew mine throwing in the Highland games (yeah baby, Manly tear up :-) )  I mean that sucker went off like a shotgun. My buddies thought I had snapped the 4x4 trig I stepped on :-)

Anyhoo that was on a Saturday, went to the ER, did Xrays etc. Saw a Surgeon on Tuesday, surgery on Thursday.

For 6 weeks I was in a fixed brace. This gives time for the tendon to adhear back to the bone. Fortunately my Chiro ordered me an Estem device and I put it on the quad from weeks 3-6.

After that it was PT with an adjustable brace. Working on ROM mostly and moving the brace so many degrees and strengthening it through that ROM for 6 more weeks. About 12 weeks post op I could bend that puppy well past 100 degrees and told the Doc 'I am ready to be released'.  Doc says ' ok let me see your foot'.  I was sitting on his table as he lifted my foot and looked at me and just dropped it. The leg naturally just dropped and swung back past 90 no problem. He says 'Yep you are good to go!'

He was looking for wincing, pain, me jumping or stopping it for fear of pain.  Until a couple years back I honestly couldn't tell (other than the look of it) I had work done. But I think Genetically I suffer from Ostoarthrits and will need some patellar/ Femoral chondile work done, but as for as the tendon, its all good