Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can anyone offer any insight ?  (Read 972 times)

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
Can anyone offer any insight ?
« on: January 20, 2004, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

My knee feels pretty good since the partial meniscectomy back on Dec. 2 2003. I have had some problems with some pain in the past week, but I am back to working a full load at work. (on my feet for 9 - 13 hours a day).
I really need some advice...I have scheduled my acl reconstruction Feb 3. My OS said the decision was mine as to have the surgery or not. He told me that with the damage already in my knee that the surgery could make it worse. I have chondromalacia grade 2 PFJ which during my Dec surgery he did a chondroplasty, an osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, narrowing of the joint space. I am 35 years old, fairly active and want to be able to get back to doing the things I love to do, without having to wear a knee brace constantly. I have to wear the brace for work, which bothers me with the long hours I work, and that in itsself should be enough to make my decision. But his statement of possibly making it worse bothers me. Then I think well every time my knee gives out that will cause more damage and the lack of the acl could cause the damage already there to worsen anyway. Besides the fact he never told me about the other damage. I found that out by getting a copy of my mri results and a copy of my records from his office.
I have doubts about my decision.....
Anyone out there have any thoughts or similiar experiences ?

Thanks,
Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
Re: Can anyone offer any insight ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 07:22:34 PM »
Hi Dawn:

First of all, congratulations on a successful recovery from your partial meniscectomy in December!  As for your acl reconstruction, I wish I had a perfect answer for you, but of course I don't.  Every surgery is different, every OS is different, and every patient outcome is different.  Keep in mind that your doctor HAS to tell you that the surgery may result in a worse outcome...he cannot guarantee anything, let alone a better outcome.  Otherwise doctors would be sued even when the results were neutral.  The only suggestion I can make is that you see another OS, one you respect or who is recommended to you by someone (possibly from these boards?) for a second opinion concerning the necessity of the surgery and its potention outcome.  After that, you just have to use your own instincts.  If for any reason you don't have full faith in your OS (you indicate in your posting that you feel he withheld information from you concerning your earlier surgery), then perhaps you are really looking for someone to tell you not to go through with this?
Let us know what you decide...we're here for you and wish you the best, whatever you choose!
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04