Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My one year check up, not a good day  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
My one year check up, not a good day
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »
I had my year check up today for my ACL, PCL, MCL reconstruction and it wasn't a good day. I've been dealing with this injury for over a year now and just when I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel my train derailed. My ACL and PCL healed up really well, my doc even said my PCL in my op knee is stronger than my other but the MCL, where the worst of the worst of the damage was, didn't take. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook but its tough. I'm hoping beings the rest of my ligaments are strong my and I'm way stronger now than before my first surgery, hopefully my body will have no problem healing the MCL this time. Any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: My one year check up, not a good day
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Well, while it may be hard to digest the hard part of the news, it does sound like you have a lot of good to be encouraged on.  It is so hard to keep a balance between the good and the bad, seeming as bad (even if less than the good that occurred) usually means more time or surgery or pain.  Still, it is very good that the rest of the ligaments healed up nicely and are strong....this should mean a faster FULL recovery ;)

Now for the condolences.... I really am sorry Johnny.  I am sure it felt like a kick in the gut to hear such news. You say you have been dealing with this injury for a year now, have you still had pain or limited movement?  Or did the doc just notice something on tests and say the MCL didn't heal?  I ask, because if you aren't having any residual side affects, do you need to have the next surgery immediately?  Or could you postpone it....?  Either way, I am sure the news was devastating; no one likes being caught in the battle of time and healing.  Hang in there buddy!!!

Hopefully, the surgery won't be anywhere near as long or tedious as the reconstruction of all your ligaments :)  You know the routine, how to progress, when/if you can push the pt or just rest... You also know that this will be the last surgery because your body healed so effectively on the other ligaments :)  You have been very diligent in your pt as is shown by the increase in strength. YAY!!  That is more than half the battle in getting your life back on the road to whatever sport/life hobby you love.

Johnny, try not to let this news torpedo you down into depression...I know you can pull this off and become even stronger then before!  Does your doc know why the MCL didn't take??  Maybe find supplements that aid in the healing...., pre surgery exercises, I don't know, something ;)

Please keep us all posted. Hang in there, I will be praying for you!!

God Bless (and encourage Johnny),

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 03:36:14 AM »
Thank you Misty!!!!  I really appreciate the reply. I wish I could postpone my surgery or elect not to have it but the medial side of my knee is very weak and beings it's so weak the kneecap is being pulled to the other side of my knee which is causing major tracking problems, which is how I figured out dinethibg was wrong. I started having some serious kneecap tracking issues which is really interfering with my therapy and everyday activities.
I promised my wife not to slip into a depression this time. I really went into a dark place after my crash and surgery last time.  I know what to expect this time and I'm being optimistic and I will get through this. I have to, I'm only 39. Thanks again for the encouragement and prayers, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Hey Johnny,

You will get through this!  This time, you don't have the traumatic injury that the crash had given you, you know the routine of pt, AND you have the strength and support of stronger tendons ;).  While I can understand your reservation of another surgery and the layup time, think about how not having the surgery is affecting you..... Do you find it hard to fight frustration/depression/pain etc?  Are you limited by the things you can do currentlY?  If the answer is 'yes', then I would say this surgery should be exciting.... ::) well, maybe not exciting, but definitely encouraging :)  Why?  Because after the surgery you can get back to life, the life you have been longing for since the crash.

If you write out your current negatives and positives, and then write out the surgical negatives and positives (this includes the rehab and ultimate healing and use of the knee  ;)).  Sometimes, having the visual of the benefits helps put things into perspective, ease the negatives (that we all know can overwhelm positive when given at the wrong time, when in pain, etc).  Keep a journal pre op as well, write the difficulties that you are having, and after surgery reflect on the progress that comes; it might help keep you from slipping into a depression during the recovery period (being, able to see the progress that we sometime miss seeing do to living life in the moment).

Do keep us posted  ;)

God bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
Thank you!!!  The pre op journal is a very good idea. My wife and I are in a little getaway in Jim Thorpe, Pa. and we road the rails to trails yesterday but 6 miles was my limit which is a major improvement from before when I had all 3 ligaments taken out. I am looking forward to the days when I can do 15 miles no problem. I'll get there, but it's just going to take time. I never did a journal before but I did do frequent posts, pictures and videos on Facebook and that helped a lot, I frequently look back at my crash/recovery pictures when I think I'm not making progress. I'll get through this, I have an awesome support system. Thank you again.

support