Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Return to Knee Geeks update on old injury and reporting new injury  (Read 1282 times)

Offline aef1000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
It's been several years since my orginal post "Postlateral Corner Injury", back in 2005.  I am happy to report that although that injury took a full year to resolve itself, my knee reuturned to full function to the point I went back to compeiting in show jumping at the Grand Prix level.  Prior to that injury I had shown at the High Amateur Owner Jumper level and never dreamed that I would return to the highest level of the sport.  That injury was repaired in stages with 3 surgeries.  The 1st surgery to repair the Post Lateral Corner and reattach the fibula head and LCL.  After rehabbing that surgery an ACL repair was performed with a ACL cadavor ligament.  Started rehab for the ACL but developed severe artrhofribrosis and ROM dificulities.  Frustrated with surgeon I sought out a new surgeon familiar with this condidtion.  He removed all the scar tissue arthroscopically and after extensive PT my knee returned to normal.  After a couple years my knee felt like I had never injured it in the 1st place.  Fantastic recovery!!!!   
I am more than happy to talk with anyone frustrated with their recoveries.
Cut to 2013....
I had a completly freak accident while riding at the walk on my horse when something caught his attention and he took a step backwards onto poor footing.  He tripped behind and lost his balance.  Anyhoo, I ended up with a severly dislocated knee (oppisite leg from my former injury) and a L5 burst fracture of my spine.  Spent a month in the hospital and a week in skilled nursing.  Now I am rehabbing at home and setting up PT appointments and sessions with Kiniseology expert to complement the tradtional PT sessions.  I am wearing a back brace for 3 months (have about 5 weeks to go) and no brace on knee.  As this was a trauma injury I was imediately operated on in the trauma ward where a neurosurgeon performed back surgery and a orthopedic surgeon reduced my knee dislocation.  During this time my MCL was repaired with a titanium screw.   Still on lots of pain meds, oxycontin 2x/day 20 mg, percocet (10-325mg) every 4- 8 hours.  I also take celebrex for my long time osteoarthritis in my hands.  This will be very interesting to see how this recovery goes compared with my other knee injury 8 years ago.  Would love to connect with others to share expericences and moral support.
2/11/2005 Arthroscope, LCL repair, postilateral corner repair, nerve proceedure
5/04/05 ACL allo recon, lat release
10/05/05 LOA & chondroplasty
2/25/13 rt knee dislocation and L5 spine burst fracture; trauma surgeries to repair both injuries
9/11/13 LOA & clean-up arthrofribosis

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: Return to Knee Geeks update on old injury and reporting new injury
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
First, congratulations on returning to jumping, let alone Grand Prix!!  As a fellow horseman (trainer/clinician - all disciplines), I understand the demands and skill it takes to acquire such a level. Kudos!!

Now to the encouragement....  I am so sorry such a freak situation occurred.  Unfortunately, when accidents happen with horses, do to their size and power, even the simplest of things are dangerous.  You were on the sucky side of this accident.  I am so glad you weren't killed or paralyzed.  But I am terribly sorry to hear about the injuries you have sustained; they sound horrific.  BUT, if you can overcome what you have with your knee and acquire the level of status that you have, I know you can come back to full riding and activities again  ;).  I'm sure you are fully aware that the mental and emotional side of this recovery will be just as important as following the rehab instructions physically.  I can only imagine the fortitude you have (and it will take) to keep an optimistic outlook all the time.... so don't ;).  Get mad when you need to, but only for a short time (no more than a day at a time).  Get sad when you are blue, but only for a short time (no more than a day at a time).  Make sure you have a good support group (and you know you have one here  :)), and enjoy the little successes and progress that is made, for they all lead up to big ones and ultimate goals. Know that you are capable of coming through this and healing and returning to what you love and are gifted at.  Try not to allow the passage of time (which always seems longer when unable to do what you love (I am currently in that boat)) to bring you down.... focus on healing. 

Truly, it sounds like this is all old news for you as you are well into your recovery phase, but it never hurts to hear it repeated ;).

I will keep you in my prayers and hope your recovery has absolutely no setbacks or delays!

God Bless (and abundantly heal your injuries),

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline aef1000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
Thank you for all your well wishes. :). You are so right about taking it one day at a time.  Having this resource of fellow knee issue colleagues is very comforting.  You can feel very isolated even though family and friends may mean well but really have no idea what we're going through.
How are you doing?  It sounds like you are about to have another procedure??  Was there an initial injury that started your knee problems or a gradual process?
Are you also involved with horses?  Please elaborate.:)
Horses are another area that many people have a hard time understanding the draw.
Not only because of their expense but also the inherent danger.  I was bitten by the "horse bug" at a very early age and always seem to keep coming back to it.  LOL
Again thank you for your words of encouragement.  You are definitely a little bright spot in my day when I read your reply.  :)
Thinking positive thoughts!!!!
Anne

2/11/2005 Arthroscope, LCL repair, postilateral corner repair, nerve proceedure
5/04/05 ACL allo recon, lat release
10/05/05 LOA & chondroplasty
2/25/13 rt knee dislocation and L5 spine burst fracture; trauma surgeries to repair both injuries
9/11/13 LOA & clean-up arthrofribosis

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Hi Anne,

I have been a trainer (all disciplines) for almost 20 years (conduct clinics and symposiums as well).  I understand the passion, love, and extreme endurance and mental discipline (emotional too) that requires to stay safe, have fun, advance and be successful, and generally just be around (and do the work, lol) horses  ;)  I injured my knee about 15 yrs ago (got drug around the arena...fun.. ???) and actually put a dent in the bone of my knee  (30yr experienced surgeon said he'd never seen that one before, lol) and tore up the cartilage (waited 9yrs to get it done because I didn't want to be 'layed up' healing, not my best move ::)).  Finally had my knee cleaned up about 9yrs ago while recovering from a different injury (was around horses but not horses related).  That did the trick for awhile, but the loss of cartilage and the wear and tear of our discipline finally put me back in the repair mode.  I am praying I can have ACI (cartilage replacement surgery; awaiting insurance/money woes), otherwise it is a knee replacement for me :P  Of course my right knee has been giving issues as well (stupid knee) so it will get scoped when I get my left knee done.  Hopefully that will repair everything knee wise ;)

I agree that most people (unless animal or horse/large animal people) don't understand the passion and commitment that horses entail; nor the joy and peace they bring.  It is a lot of work, dangerous (in that their size and nature is conducive to large powerful movements), and that they give their love and affection differently then a dog (well, at least in that they don't come sit in your lap :o THANK GOD!) but it is just as powerful and intense....and needed :)

I hope you are having a good day/weekend.  You are in my prayers!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline afartinthefog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
hi aef1000 I've been reading your posts and they have helped me through this tough time of being injured with a dislocated knee.

I remember you mentioned you had a compressed peroneal nerve, did this cause you foot drop?

If so did it recover?

support