Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery in 8 days - how to calm nerves?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Surgery in 8 days - how to calm nerves?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
Having my osteotomy in 8 days - it is my birthday the day before my surgery so I am hoping this is enough to keep the nerves at bay - anybody any tips for keeping calm day before surgery?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Surgery in 8 days - how to calm nerves?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
Hi there,

you might just want to try and re-frame your approach to the surgery.  Instead of omg I'm having surgery think- just one more day until I get rid of this problem and am on my way to pain-free.  Its all an attitude thing-think beyond the surgery to what you will do when you are pain-free and fully mobile again.  Think-I am healthy and will heal quickly from this.

Good healing.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
Plan something fun to do the day before and a nice dinner. Stay busy, that always helps me. Do you have everything you need in prep for surgery? Get all that done too and I think you will feel a little more relaxed.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:42:24 AM »
Sit down and think if you've got all your "prep" done for after... it'll keep you busy and give you something to do.
- make some pre-made meals and freeze them in single serve containers for easy microwaving. those small square reusable/ throwaway rubbermaid or ziploc brand ones that stack neatly are great for this.
- premake extra ice, if you have to make cubes, or empty the icemaker bin, and bag it in a doubled up grocery sack so the unit will make more, until you have plenty of extra. You'll want about a 10lb bag's worth of ice on hand for icepacks or to use in an ice machine. Having to make/get ice if you forgot is misery. Plus, having enough so you can have a cooler with drinks by the bed or chair you're residing in is a nice thing, so you don't have to do as much fetching while in pain. (it can be set up for you in the morning before your partner leaves for work, and then you're good for the day, for example)
-snacks - never take painmeds on an empty stomach, so have peanut butter crackers, saltines, granola bars, or whatever you like - an assortment is often great - in a plastic bin with a lid (especially if you have dogs) so you can have it near you, then you don't have to get up to get it.
- restroom - depending on how your home is, you may want or need a footrest to make doing your business easier, with the leg immobilized. A folding single step stepstool, or something similar, may be indicated.
- carrying things while on crutches - plan for this - have a container with a screw on lid and wide mouth that you can put a drink with ice together in, and close it, then place it in a bag to carry with you. you can do anything from a long-handled canvas carry bag you can loop over a shoulder before you grab your crutches, or simply use a grocery sack and insert items and then grab it's handle and crutch handle too... or you could use a backpack. Or, you could do what I did when I couldn't put weight on my knee for 2 months - I got a rolling walker with 4 wheels and a seat and basket, I and used it in the house -  I did the one -foot hop, holding onto the walker, and put what I wanted on the seat and in the basket... then I could nuke a meal and take it to go sit and eat it.
- bathing, plan on not being able to get in the shower or tub with an immobilizer or cast on that's 3/4 of the length of your leg. If your kitchen sink has a spray wand, you may be able to stand there on one leg long enough to wash your hair there, or you may need help doing so elsewhere. You may have to do "sink baths" for a bit... you may want to buy a box of baby wipes for "freshening up" a little without having to deal with much, especially if you know you'll be short of energy and crabby - like if you have kids to deal with too. The "cleaning up" necessity needs to be planned for, if you know you'll be in a cast/immobilizer for a couple months, for example.

If you think ahead, and plan out for food, snacks and drinks, reading materials, etc, that should be quite a bit to do. Don't know if you'll be managing mostly alone like me, or how much help you'll have, so plan accordingly.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies,

Yes I still have a bit of prep to do for aftercare! I am planning on doing lots of writing after surgery to keep boredom at bay! I am a Montessori teacher so will be off work for a good while.

Yeah I have to try and stay calm because I know that it is necessary surgery as I have had 5 dislocations and I know this is what is going to help.  :)

xx

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
You have been given some excellent advice!  Way to go everyone!  Another thing to remember is US!  We are here to help you get through the difficulties before and after surgery  ;).  You might keep a diary as well, for those that come before, and all of us who are cheering on your healing.

I would also suggest taking a walk (if able... and honestly, even if it causes a bit of pain (helps you remember why you are having this surgery) when nerves start to get the better of you.  Praying, singing, watching funny movies all have calming affect.  Hope on the boards and do what you have been doing; knowing others have shared in the same experience, and will be sharing your experience and rooting you on can be encouraging too.

Hang in there, take courage my friend!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI