Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kneecap tracking issues after ACL, PCL and MCL reconstruction  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Hi, I've been on this site for about 6 months now and been very helpful. I'm coming up on my year mark for surgery and all is going well except my kneecap is tracking funny. I spoke to my therapist about it, he poked and prodded my knee yesterday and says everything feels stable but the kneecap isn't tracking right, he said its most likely from my inner quad not being fully developed yet. I see my surgeon again next week for my year check up. Hopefully it's just from my inner quad being weak yet. Anyone else have this issue after surgery?  Thanks, John
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Kneecap tracking issues after ACL, PCL and MCL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Yep and on both knees. Getting the smaller muscles back up to full strength after such injuries is hard work. I've never managed to get the balance right in my right knee and now wear a patella support to hold the knee cap in the correct position when I ski but do not bother for any other activity. I can take part in most of the sports I want to at the level I want without too much trouble. however the articular cartilage on the back of my patella is pretty well gone in places due to tracking issues.

I found getting the right balance between the muscles around the knee back was and is still my biggest ongoing problem. I hate gyms and gym equipment, so I cycle, walk (Nordic and ambling) and train at home using a Gymstick while watching TV. At my age it is hard to get a)motivated and b) the condition back I had when I was at the top of my game! Sadly time flies faster than my efforts  :-[
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Yep, I also hate gyms and have been forced to go to one three times a week for the past year at therapy. I have been cleared to ride my bicycle though which did wonders for my therapy both physically and mentally. I still go to therapy twice a week and get rides in twice a week. I wish I could get my VMO to develop quicker, it's amazing how fast the muscles atrophy and how long it takes to build back up. My outer quad and upper quad is starting to come back and get a lot stronger.  I guess it'll be a never ending battle to keep my quad strength up, before my crash I road mountsin bikes 4-5 times a week and dirtbikes on the weekends, I'm hoping once I get back to being that active I should be fine. Thanks again.
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »
Saw the Doc on Thursday and it isn't muscle imbalance, the MCL didn't take due to there being so much damage in there after my crash. I'll be going in for another surgery, not the news we wanted but I'm actually pretty anxious about it because I'm ready to get this show on the road.