Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica Syndrome removal in both left and right knee  (Read 921 times)

Offline ForgetWinter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica Syndrome removal in both left and right knee
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
This morning I had both my plicas removed and I have a few questions because, I has never and any kind of surgery before (my sister had her meniscus fixed but that's it so I can't really ask her).
How long will I be on crutches? No, I'm not in a wheelchair because I refused to be in one, probably a really stupid move. And do the pain killers make you itchy? And had anyone here ever had both removed at the same time? If so what did you have to do physical therapy wise?

Offline amoxi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Plica Syndrome removal in both left and right knee
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
I had the medial and supra-patellar plica removed on 6th March on the right leg only. I was on crutches for two weeks. For the pain killers it depends what you take. ( Ibuprofen, paracetamol, other...). I did not feel anything stange myself.
The physical therapy began the day after the operation to learn how to walk with crutches and how to make the leg straight in bed. I also had five hours per day of passive motion with a machine for the first three days. I even had already two hours on the machine already one hour after the operation.
Then for two weeks it was mostly to regain range of motion and to decrease inflammation by contraction of the muscles. After two weeks it was also to regain strength in the whole leg.
swolen episodes since 2009
plica mediopatelaris discovered 01.2013
plica resection 03.2013

Offline ForgetWinter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Thank you! And I think I am taking paracetamol, it sound right.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
Hi There,

I had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed in November 2009 that was restricting my knee movement a lot and also felt catching. The scope got rid of the catching sensation and for me it was slow recovery 18 months it took to gain full fitness again and had to have a steroid injection both pre op and post op.

Everyone recovers differently and for some it can take a while for others it only takes a few months to recover. I was just unlucky and did not help falling onto my right knee that led to the injury and surgery and as long as you do not have too much scar tissue by the portals should be fine and was also given friction massage to break down the scar tissue by my PT.

Good luck with your recovery and hope I have not made you paranoid due to having a slow recovery myself that does not happen to all patients that have had plica excision.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support