Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unable to fully extend or fully bend knee  (Read 1716 times)

Offline piecone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unable to fully extend or fully bend knee
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »
Hi, first time post.

I am a 50+ year old male, fairly sporty in my youth, playing both rugby codes, surfing, swimming, touch footy, tennis and squash.

I have had meniscus surgery (key-hole) on both knees. My right knee (and 'oldest' in terms of meniscus tear surgery) now does not fully extend. It doesn't cause pain when extending. It does cause discomfort when trying to fully bend knee. I am a recreational bodybuilder and it doesn't impact my ability to do load bearing exercise.
I feel unusual sensation on lateral part of knee joint - almost like it's going to lock up sometimes. Is this something that might be fixed without surgery?

Offline amoxi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Unable to fully extend or fully bend knee
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
Hi,

welcome on the boards.
I think that anyone here will agree that from few symptoms it is impossible to tell what is going on in your knee. I expect that most of the people here had real difficulties to make the relation between symptoms and the real cause of the problem.
If I would be you, I could probably tolerate  ::) some loss of ROM while bending the knee as long as there is no pain or swelling involved. I would not tolerate  :-[ a loss of ROM in extension without knowing the cause as this has a direct impact on the ability to walk. Once you know the cause you are free to decide if you want to do something about it.

Maybe the answer is in your question:
I have had meniscus surgery (key-hole) on both knees...
swolen episodes since 2009
plica mediopatelaris discovered 01.2013
plica resection 03.2013

Offline piecone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I didn't realise I didn't have full extension until a PT at my gym got me to sit on floor with leg straight & try to raise heel off floor without lifting leg. With full extension, this should be easy, I couldn't achieve it. This lack of full ROM doesn't seemt o be an issue with walking etc.

In terms of consulting medicos, i live in Australia so unsure if there is difference in UK but should I see a sports physiotherapist or orthopaedic surgeon for consult? Or would standard GP be first contact?

Offline muscle20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
serious bodybuilder/powerlifter for 30 yrs. very similar symptoms that didn't stop me squatting (260k) till almost overnight had serious swelling. xray confirmed grade 4 arthritis and no medial cart. clean out and smoothing only worked partially. would defo get weight bearing xray minimum. don't stop the leg work in the gym though, only cut back as im sure the muscle is helping me put off the TKR.