Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any tips for ROM after Fulkerson Osteotomy?  (Read 961 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Any tips for ROM after Fulkerson Osteotomy?
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any tips. I will start PT until 6 weeks post-op (almost 2 weeks post op now) but I am cleared to swim and bend my knee when sitting. I tried to bend it last night after icing but I can't get past 30 degrees or so. I spoke to my OS office and they just said not to worry about it and take it easy until I start PT. I don't want to push myself hard but I wouldn't mind trying to get a head start on the exercises.

If you think I should just relax and take it easy too feel free to say that  ;)

Thanks!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Re: Any tips for ROM after Fulkerson Osteotomy?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »
oops! I guess I should have posted this in the Rehab section. Not sure if I can move it?
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
When I first started bending, I had a lot of tightness in my patella tendon and my quads.  Heat really helped to loosen up the tendon and muscles. I would just use a heating pad for about 10 minutes before and it made bending so much easier.  In pt they would have me lay on my stomach with a hot pack under my quad and i would slowly and gently use my other foot to push my foot towards my butt. My dr even recommended a hot bath to try and loosen things up. So if you're able to sit in the tub, that's another option.  Hope that helps! 
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Hi JessJess,
I'm now four weeks post op (MACI and Fulkerson) and have been doing exercises since day one. I can bend my knee to 100 degrees and am fully weight bearing with a brace.

The exercises I am doing are really simple - heel slides (no friction), static quads and calf pumps.
I've seen the physio today who says I should be now using a heat pack to help reduce the swelling, but to carry on with the simple exercises for the next two weeks, at which point I should be able to remove the brace completely and also start straight leg raises.

It seems that there is a lot of inconsistency out there relating to when and how much to do.
I hope this helps and good luck!

Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
Thanks!

AM7800- when did you start using heat? I'm 2 weeks post-op now. I still have swelling but mostly in my foot and ankle, some in my knee. If I take a comparison pic of my legs they look pretty similar. I wonder if I can get in a hot tub. I'm cleared to swim. Not sure if a hot tub would be too hot. I might try that exercise you mentioned about bending my knee to my butt.

Debbie- 100 is great! My OS office said no heel slides, forgot why. Yeah I forgot to say I know that every OS is different with their protocols. At first the PAs said no exercises other than bending to 30 degrees but then at first post-op appt OS said I can bend as much as I'd like but only when seated. I am full weight bearing in an immoblizer. I can walk without crutches but I like to take 1 with if I leave the house. My ankle hurts the most when I first get up so I need the one until I get my bearings.

Thanks again!  :)
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:13:33 AM »
I didn't start bending on my own till about 6 weeks post op, but mostly because I couldn't bend on my own till then.  I only used the heat for about 10 minutes before doing my bending exercises.  I still preferred to use ice for pain and swelling but the heat just really helped to loosen things up.  I didn't realize you were just 2 weeks post op.  how has your recovery been?
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

support