Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Swelling 6 months post op ?  (Read 578 times)

Offline johnanth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Swelling 6 months post op ?
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
Hi all

John here, 50 year old male had my right TKR just over 6 months ago now through one of the leading private medical health insurers I also had the computer generated knee, and I'm having trouble with swelling which in turn is causing me a lot of pain and discomfort and sleepless nights !!!

I have cut down my physio to 1 hour session per week, I'm still doing stretches myself but have cut out the gym work due to the swelling.

I was told by my surgeon after my op that when the procedure was started it was found I was big boned and needed a size 9 replacement "which didn't mean anything to me" so a size 9 was fitted, cemented and screwed to my femur then preparation was made to my tibia to fit the size 9 to it but it was found that the surgical team didn't have the matching piece to the size 9 replacement so the decision was made to remove the size 9 from my femur and a size 8 was fitted and the procedure was completed with me being in surgery for twice as long as predicted.

The next day I didn't get to do any physio due to a reaction to my pain medication and I was wondering would this of caused any set back to my recovery due to not stating exercise on the first day and would the swelling be due to having the size 9 fitted and removed ?

Please help as I need to return to work ASAP as I work offshore on the oil rigs and I'm coming up to being home for 12 months now !!

Any ideas to reduce this swelling please forward to me.....

Regards

John

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: Swelling 6 months post op ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Hi John,

I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time of it... 12 months of work is scary.  Obviously, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) will aid in swelling, however, what is causing the swelling is the question. You could wear a compression sleeve/wrap on your knee which might greatly aid in circulation and reduction of some swelling.  One of the ice/compression units could make night time more comfortable (they have ones that will cycle between icing and compression (which is always going on do to the soft brace) on a timer, so you don't have to wake up to change cycles) during sleep.  Still, the question is why you are having so much swelling 6 months post op.  I would ask your doc about it and get his thoughts.

Please keep us posted and ask away questions ;)  lots of knowledgeable (way more than me)and friendly people here who want to help.

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI