Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Clarification of terms needed please!  (Read 901 times)

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
Clarification of terms needed please!
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
is there a difference between LOA and Debridement  and what is the difference between arthrofibrosis and synovitis. I have seen the terms used interchangeably but not sure if they are the same.  Thank You! :-\
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Clarification of terms needed please!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
LOA=Lysis of Adhesions-is used to removed excess scar tissue

Debridement is not used for scar tissue  (that I know of) and is mostly used to smooth areas of early osteoarthritis (or torn cartilage) so that the rough pieces are not catching and causing problems.

Arthrofibrosis is the excessive scar tissue that sometimes develops after trauma/injury/surgery even despite normal efforts to keep it from developing. An OS could then use LOA to treat it.

The Synovial membrane is a membrane that is found between the joint capsule and the joint cavity. Synovitis is the inflammation of that membrane.

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
Re: Clarification of terms needed please!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:19:26 AM »
Thank you.  That is exactly what I thought.  It seems that OS sometimes use the terms interchangeably when they are actually not the same at all.  I have had both arthrofibrosis and synovitis (at the same time) and had scar tissue removed as well as synovectomies.  Is it for insurance billing purposes that they mix terms when writing operative reports?  Makes things more complicated than they need to be. :o
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF