Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Urgent Advice Needed  (Read 1720 times)

Offline shane2801

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Urgent Advice Needed
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Hi all,

I did a partial tear to my right quad tendon 5 months ago and stupidly listened to the advice of a physio who told me I didn't need surgery and he could fix it. 10 weeks later I changed physios who gave me strengthening exercises.
Today I did visit the surgeon who looked at my first MRI and said had I had gone to see him then he would have recommended surgery. He sent me for another MRI this morning and advised me that he needed to wait for the MRI report as he couldnt asertain whether I have one or two quad muscles out of action. He said that if both were torn off he recommends surgery but if only one is then it was a 50/50 call. He said that even if he operates he is unsure of the outcome as it has been 5 months
I can walk up and down stairs with minimal pain and can get around with a minimal limp. I am still a little unsturdy on uneven ground. I cannot run nor jog. Only a brisk walk.

My question is has anyone here left their injury a while then had surgery for a decent result? My goal is to be able to just to run & play with my little boy outside. I am shattered I listened to this physio and Im really scared that I will never be able to jog again.

Thanks for reading

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Urgent Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
Take a look at the two big threads on ruptured patella tendons and ruptured quadriceps tendons

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.4710 - for Patella Tendon

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33177.0 - for Quadriceps Tendon

Both very supportive and informative threads spanning a long period of time which show different attitudes and methods of treating this serious but sadly rare injury. John42 is seen as the "grandfather" of these two threads and has a wealth of information to pass on.

Good luck!
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi,    as my friends Sue has already informed you, read up past posts on the two mentioned threads - five moths is a very long time for surgery to correct this problem.

There is a very long rehab awaiting you, and I am attaching a set of documents which I have compiled over the years.

Read with care - ASK QUESTIONS - how did you sustain your injury?   where do you live

Best wishes
John K/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline shane2801

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Thanks guys. I live in Sydney Australia and I did the injury slipping down a step. I have read through most of the posts and most seem very similar. My situation is different as I have left it a while. Im in two minds whether to continue with strength training (I must admit I have been very lazy with it up until now) or opt for surgery. My surgeon is unsure whether surgery will fix the problem. My only aim is to be able to run again. At present I can do just about anything else bar that.
Common sense tells me that if only one quad muscle is out of action surely if I build up my other three they could compensate?? I could be way off, i'm just not sure.

Offline brandell7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
Shane, all I can say is the WWE Wrestler HHH completely blew his Quad Tendon in a wrestlemania match one year. Needless to say about 5-7 years later he is still Raslin' :-)

Go talk to the doc, get done what he wants, know the rehab will be painful and (not meaning to offend anyone) kick its ass.

YOU will decide how you recover from this. Will it be 100%, maybe not, but you can get it as close as you can and you can overcome any issues.

Get the work done, then start healing!

support