Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: FINALLY diagnosed... how to tell my boss I need to go out on SDI?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline WarriorPrncss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Hey ya'll....

Last Thursday, after much time and seeing many doctors... I found out my knee pain and frequent patella dislocation is due to an almost completely torn MPFL. The doctor showed me one small portion that was attached in my MRI, but said that you couldn't even see it in any other view. Since it's not life threatening he left the surgery date up to me.

I am struggling with a few things: first, I started a new job in November and my probation period isn't up until the end of May and I don't dare say anything or attempt to take off before then-- probation period means they can let me go for ANYTHING. Second, once my probation period is up... how long should I wait to schedule? I feel like it would look bad if I'm like, "Hey, I know I'm just off probation, but by the way, I have to take off for about 6 weeks to have knee surgery." Another issue I have to take into account is that if I wait more than 3 months from my last appt (which was 4/4) I'll have to jump through all the hoops and get a referal back to my OS-- not a huge deal, just something to think about. How and when do I tell my boss? Or do I go to HR since I have a County job?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: FINALLY diagnosed... how to tell my boss I need to go out on SDI?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Wow, what a bummer to be in that situation!  I can't answer your question unfortunately, but I do have some questions that might better help those who have had MPFL recon answer you:

1.  What type of job do you have? i.e. physical, desk?

2. Would you be able to work at home?

3. Would half day work days for awhile be a possibility?

4. Is your job conducive to crutches (i.e. if construction, crutches would not be good  ;)).

I am sure there would be other questions, but that is a start.  People here are great at helping each other out and offering up their experiences, advice, and thoughts.  Good luck!

God Bless (and give you wisdom in your decision making ;))

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
Like Misty says, give us a little more info about what your job entails (physically) – more than likely someone has had a similar experience and will have some tricks of the trade to get you back into work sooner rather than later.

For me, (and this may depend on the personality of your boss or your work environment) When I started looking into surgical options I was very new to my job as well. I got along well with my boss, and was just up front about it. Saying ‘this isn’t something I’m doing tomorrow, but in a few months… I’m gonna need a couple weeks off’ I found that being up front and updating her on the status after each appointment really just helped in the long run, when the time came to schedule the surgery, everyone was really supportive. If I had waited until I scheduled the surgery – I’m not sure it would have gone over as well. If you are up front about it, you can devise a plan that works well for everyone – but I recognize this may not work for every work situation/personality/environment. 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline WarriorPrncss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:31 AM »
1.  What type of job do you have?
I work in the control center of a Juvenile Detention Facility, essentially it's a desk job, but it's not a job I can prop my leg at. (And though it may sound bad-- if my Dr. is going to clear me for 6 weeks off I'd happily take it--- I have crummy hours and no Saturday/Sundays off.)

2. Would you be able to work at home?
Nope.

3. Would half day work days for awhile be a possibility?
Nope. 8hr shift work shifts, 2- 15 minute breaks per shift.

4. Is your job conducive to crutches (i.e. if construction, crutches would not be good  ;)).
Once I get into the facility I am locked in the control center for 8 hours, essentially, yes.

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
I agree with Allyd about being up front with your boss.  If he/she knows the situation, the recovery time, etc, and that you are willing to work with them to schedule the best time to get this done, you should have a better response then just dropping the bomb on them ;).  I would let them know that you enjoy this job and that you want to find every way to be able to come back to work and be effective as quickly as possible.  BUT, that there may be a few requirements, i.e. a way to elevate your leg (ice too - although that can be resolved with a Gameready or other type ice machine) that would enable you to return at the earliest point your doc releases you.

It is a bummer to be in this situation. You might ask questions with HR to see if there is any protocol for such situations (you aren't the only one that has had such misfortune strike at inopportune times :P. Maybe they will have better info on how to keep things smooth ;)).

Good luck!!  Please let me know how things turn out

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
You say you have a desk job, but that it is not conducive to propping your leg up? Does this mean you get up a lot, or need to move around, be on your feet at times?

Who wouldn’t want to take 6 weeks if your doctor signed you off for that long!? But if you are truly worried bout your job, you’ll want to make every effort to be back as soon as possible. I think you simply need to have a conversation with your boss – definitely involve HR (as they will need to help you through all the paperwork that is short term disability), see what they are able to do to help set you up post surgery – and then double back with your doctor and see if it makes sense with his rehab protocol. Are you in the US? If you are concerned about your job you may want read up about FMLA (or talk to HR)… while your company probation period may be over – if you are taking leave, your job isn’t really protected by the law until you’ve been there a full year. Probably not something you need to worry about – because as MistyD says, things happen in life, you’re not the first person to need time off from work to have surgery. I was pleasantly surprised with my organization – my department head needed to sign off on all the paperwork and she’s unpredictable with these things she even said “just take care of yourself, do what you need to do, and we’ll see you back in a few weeks.” Sometimes the worry outweighs what ends up happening in reality.

For what it’s worth – I work a desk job. Basic office type job. I was back at work within 2 weeks after having an MPFL recon. I didn’t need to get up a lot – unless I had to go to the bathroom, get lunch or simply go home. I didn’t do much to elevate my leg at work outside of a box under my desk. Honestly – if your job doesn’t require a lot of movement… you can probably find a solution to be back to work sooner than 6 weeks. I was actually pretty bored and restless the second week at home and anxious to get back to work. Even going back part time may be an option for you – i.e. every other day or something like that.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline WarriorPrncss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
You say you have a desk job, but that it is not conducive to propping your leg up? Does this mean you get up a lot, or need to move around, be on your feet at times?   

The facility I work at is, basically, a prison facility. I run a giant board that allows people in and around the facility. Unless I am sitting really close to the ground there is no way to prop my leg up high wise-- but there space underneath also isn't deep enough either. If I was able to sit that low I wouldn't be able to reach the entire board unless I got up. Actually--- even working normally I do a lot of sliding around to reach everything and then going back and fourth to my computer which is set up away from the main board I run.

I am worried about my knee recovery because I don't heal well-- I've been officially diagnosed with Fibro, but I don't think that's accurate, my doctor suspects Lupus but since the treatment can be rough he doesn't want to jump on a diagnosis before he knows for sure. However--- I am hypermobible, had kyphosis and have poor wound healing with keloid scarring. I've had 9 surgeries in the last 10 years, all scars look awful-- especially my knee--- it broke down and split open on more than a couple occasions. I'm terrified of a second ugly incision on my knee and how well it will heal.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:19:50 AM by WarriorPrncss »

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »
What state do you work in...It could make a big difference.

Offline WarriorPrncss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »
I live and work in California.