Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: In hospital post tkr gross swelling  (Read 4383 times)

Offline fern

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
In hospital post tkr gross swelling
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
Help!  5 days post tkr with patella resurfacing using cooling machine 15 hours on it yesterday  with no difference.and can't go home due to gross swelling and lack of bend - stuck at 70 deg.  Cannot move heel off bed at all and cannot be discharged until I can manage a straight leg raise unaided. Any suggestions or encouragement?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: In hospital post tkr gross swelling
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 03:26:15 AM »
ankle pumps, ankle to thigh massage, elevate the leg as much as you can above heart level, all can help get fluids moving.

For quads - put hand on thigh - tense, hold for 10 count , relax for 5 count, repeat 5 times every 30 min, or at least hourly, and see if they get easier, or if you can start getting more quad engagement, so that you can try to lift the leg. You could try using a towel as a "spotter" to allow your hands to help lift the lower leg while you do as much as you can with the quads, but you have to allow the quads to do as much as they can. the "quad sets" aka squeeze/hold/relax/repeat of the quads done very very often will help get them re-engaging and build up some base strength so you can try the lift again. the more you do the better... I did mine at least several times a day when I had issues one time, if you can manage a few every hour since you're stuck in hospital, that might not be bad. might also help circulation and fluid issue too.

this is purely nonprofessional advice- ask doc or pt so you don't hurt yourself.

it stinks when things don't go the way you want, but it'll get there. work on getting those quads answering, and you'll be near there.... hang in there!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline fern

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
Thanks, DM.  I went onto CPM and achieved 80deg  -still not enough but managed to just get my heel off the bed.  After a nine day stay, I was allowed home with a physio appt for first thing Monday.  I'll get there - slowly.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
even with the physio appts, you have to work on it outside of those appts several times a day, at the minimum, if you want to get it back. Not tons of stuff, but a little bit, often. You can't let it stiffen up, and you gotta keep it moving. Kinda like molding glass - you do a lot too fast, and you mess up more than you achieve, but you have to work it steady or you can't mold it at all.

glad they're letting you go home. that always does wonders for the mind, and gives you reason to get moving.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support