Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LCL Tear - Good Chance to Heal Without Surgery?  (Read 5882 times)

Offline LyraM45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LCL Tear - Good Chance to Heal Without Surgery?
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Hello all!  I just found out I have a pretty bad LCL tear (well, I am not sure of the grade since the OS didn't mention anything, but he said it was tore completely off of the bone so I'm guessing 3?) and I'm trying to get a feel for how often this heals without surgery.  My research suggests if it's a stand alone injury like mine (no other tears-- all other ligaments in good shape) it will often heal on its own, so I would love to hear about anybody elses experience with this type of injury-- how bad of a tear was it and did you have to have surgery or not? If you did not have surgery, how long did it take to heal and allow you to get back in the saddle with sports and activities?  And if you had surgery, how long to heal from that?

My OS wants to give the conservative treatment a try, which I am all for, but I could just tell he has his doubts.  I am a very active person (I hurt the knee skydiving, and I also snowboard, backpack, hike, mountain bike, run, and scuba dive), so I am not looking forward to keeping off of this leg for a few months, and then possibly having surgery and being off it even more time after that. 

Another thing-- my OS did not mention anything about PT.  Is it common for an LCL injury to not require PT? 

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)