Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee surgery 3 years ago...now stiffness after sitting  (Read 866 times)

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee surgery 3 years ago...now stiffness after sitting
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:17:35 AM »
Hi,
I had a lateral release and patello-femoral ligament repair done on my right knee almost 3 years ago to stabilize my knee after having several dislocations of my knee cap. Now when I sit for more than about 30 minutes, my knee gets really stiff and it is difficult to walk. The pain and stiffness is right under and around my knee cap. It does not hurt while I am sitting, only when I get up and try to straighten it all the way and walk. I can't avoid sitting for long periods of time because I am a student and have long lectures to attend. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be? I read online that this pain is often caused by bad knee cap tracking and bad alignment. I though my surgery fixed that but now I'm thinking maybe it didn't really work. Any thoughts about the cause would be great. Thanks
-18 years old-
2002- 7 years old, first subluxation
4 more subluxations
9/'10- MRI: microfracture, damage and stretched ligaments
PT, all was going well, got into sports again
03/20/10- 6th subluxation: worse yet!
8/2/10 MPFL repair and lateral release

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Knee surgery 3 years ago...now stiffness after sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
I have a similar problem with my knee but did not have the surgery you had (yet). But my OS has told me to expect knee stiffness after sitting or staying on one position for possible a long time, or even forever, due to having had a different surgery on the knee. The surgery I had was much more minor, but apparently something about it leaves the knee prone to stiffness afterwards. I meditate a lot so sitting cross legged usually leaves my knee really stiff and sore. I stretch it out slowly and when I'm seated a lot I try to keep my feet moving and change positions if I can. You could try taking a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and see if that helps, and make sure you drink a lot of water. Doing something fluid like yoga might help keep it loose as well.