Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Discomfort Post ACL Reconstruction  (Read 519 times)

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Discomfort Post ACL Reconstruction
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am currently exactly 4 months after my ACL surgery with hamstring graft and I am quite pleased so far with how its gone - I am almost at full levels of activity again (can sprint at full pace without issues) while obviously still avoiding twisting and contact sports. My only real issue is that my knee joint "aches" quite a bit both after exercise and when I wake up in the morning. It doesnt stop me doing anything and I dont think for one second something bad has happened; but just wondering if this intermittent aching is typical of this stage of recovery? Am I expecting far too much to be painfree at this stage?

Thanks,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: Discomfort Post ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
First off, congrats on being back to full activities!  ;D  That is wonderful!

Now from personal experience surgery wise, I would say it is normal to have the ache for up to a year even.  Lots of work went into that small joint and healing times for the overall trauma can vary.  Inflammation coming from rebuilding the muscle lost, scar tissue, etc can cause the ache.  I have not had ACL problems specifically, but knee problems and surgeries for other things.  Still, I would suggest icing it after a good day of activities and see if that helps regulate the ache.

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI