Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee not hurting should I still have surgery?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee not hurting should I still have surgery?
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:30:54 AM »
Should I cancell my surgery on knee doesn't seem to hurt or slip like it was.I have sugery on the 28th of Jan..for acl replacement.and Medial meniscus tear??? ??? ???

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Knee not hurting should I still have surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 01:02:13 AM »
Mine wasn't hurting much before my surgery (lateral release and debridement) but that's mostly because I had just about stopped any activity that I'd been doing.  Are you still maintaining the same level of activity, or have you made some changes?

I think you should definitely talk with your OS about your concerns though.
1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:40:27 PM »
I agree you should talk to your OS, however I don't think ACL's repair themselves.  IT's the stabalizing ligament for the joint, so you should seriously talk to the doc wiht your concerns. Good luck
LInds :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:04:29 PM »
I'm willing to bet that most of us with knee problems know how "tricky" they can be - sometimes they hurt, sometimes they hurt less; lots of factors involved in the pain - activity level, the weather, even something as mundane as what position you slept in the night before.  Don't forget, even if you've been pain free for a period of time, it doesn't mean there's not a problem.  If you have gone a year or something without pain, well maybe it would be worth a second look at whether or not you have your surgery.  But I'm willing to bet it hasn't been a year.  Sometimes your brain can play tricks, too - if you are really worried about the surgery, perhaps this "it doesn't hurt" thing is coming from an unconscious wish to not have surgery - maybe a fear response.  

I agree with the others - these problems do not fix themselves, so I'm willing to bet that you still have the problem and it will resurface eventually.  But definitely talk to the doctor.  He/She's the only one who can tell you if the problem is still there and the liklihood of future problems if you don't have your surgery.  Remember, he/she wouldn't have recommended it in the first place if he/she didn't think it was necessary.

Good luck!

Kim
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 12:14:32 AM »
Thanks Kim....I believe you right about worrying about the surgery..now my blood presure is very High.....and my primary say  I am not good for surgery unless we get it under control......and today my knee pain came back....so I guess I need the surgery just not sure if I am going to have to put it off........I see my primary Dr again on Friday......and surgery is for next Wednesday.....so I am just not sure what will be happening but I will try and keep the board updated. thanks for spending the time to write back.....Right now I need all the friends I can get...Thanks again and Hugs from Michigan :)