Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: i-t, femoral-patellar pain & snowboarding  (Read 803 times)

Offline elyssa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
i-t, femoral-patellar pain & snowboarding
« on: January 20, 2004, 01:41:49 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post. I'm a big backpacker and a regular (though my training is sporadic) cyclist. This fall, I started experiencing intense pain in my knee while hiking, which a doctor diagnosed as i-t band and femoral-patellar pain due to tight i-t band, poor tracking, uneven development of my quads, and a recent sacro-illiac (lower back)  injury. I have three questions, and I would be very grateful for any suggestions you all might have:

1) the doc suggested wall sits rather than leg extensions, saying they are a safe way to avoid the tracking problem. Does this sound right? Are there other good exercises or activities anyone knows of to safely develop the v-mo muscle, which for me is always underdeveloped?

2) I notice a lot of clicking when I go into full extension, and it's making me wonder if the cycling and the above PT regimen is helping or hurting? Any specific thoughts about cycling?

3) I am thinking about going ahead with some snowboarding; I'm assuming this is not particularly bad for what I have?

Thanks for any thoughts, and hope your recoveries are going smoothly as possible!

:) Elyssa