Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: agony 13 days post revision of uni to tkr  (Read 653 times)

Offline jefrn67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
agony 13 days post revision of uni to tkr
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »
I am 13 days post revision of my oxofrd uni to total.. and I have to say it is a nightmare !! A bit of backrground I am a 45 year old woman who had first knee surgery at 13 for a torn meniscus, after that had a couplet more arthroscopys for some clean up ect, then had an acl repair. After Acl did fairly well for several years. Then in 2008 due to unrelieved pain and chronic instability had an oxford uni replacement. It was a miracle.. truly was like a gift from above. Then in dec 2012 while on a business trip my knee began to suddenly "catch" the pain was immediate and severe, and then the knee would swell like crazy. It was unlike any issues I had ever had in that I did not have constant pain, just intermittently through out day this sudden grab of pain a few times literally fell down, more than a few times would instantly bring tears to my eyes and would let out an audible gasp. I travel a ton for work so when I finally was able to get into surgeon bone scan revealed very angry knee with loose components. It was unclear as to if the loosening was due to infection or mechanical failure, so on March 18 revision was done, during surgery found the appliance had been loose long enough that ther screw that had come dislodged was covered in new bone, so getting it out was challenge. Surgery lasted over 4 hours. I have had lots of surgery, had a throacotomy in 2007 so pain is something I have a pretty high tolerance of but this is horrible. I am scared to death that I am going to lose flexibility because the pain is limiting my therapy. I have home health and they are also concerned with the pain but also because the swelling is really significant..
It would take a very long time to go over my hx but suffice it to say that since 2007 I have had 5 major surgeries. I was placed on disability in 2010, I fought my way back to living, actually battled with social security to get them to stop sending me checks when I returned to work approx 16 months ago, I was doing awesome, working traveling feelin amazing, then this happened. I had been at my job 5 weeks less than a year, and was fired at 4:30 pm the night before my surgery, since it takes 12 months to qualify for fmla they seized the moment and fired me by not approving my leave request. So now I am unemployed and in horrible pain.. I really would like to know if others are out there who have done this revision and how they did.. if you dont reply please just say a little prayer for the woman who is truly fighting to simply go to work and take care of myself.. and is in horrible pain.
I am very strong but this is more than I had expected..please share your thougths and stories..

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: agony 13 days post revision of uni to tkr
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »
first off, let me say I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I suggest you get in contact with your doc immediately, he should be made aware and be taking steps to evaluate and treat, and not leave you miserable.

Secondly, I think your former employer's a dillweed for firing you the night before surgery that you needed desperately, because they didn't want to approve a leave of absence for medically necessary surgery. I would consider a consult with a lawyer for wrongful termination. You had documentation from the doctor to show that the knee surgery was not optional, that you didn't have a choice about having it done, and if you had turned in the request at least 30 days prior to the surgery date, as you're required to, and they waited until the night before surgery to deny it, then I'd be wanting to ask a lawyer if they broke any rules by terminating you like that.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: agony 13 days post revision of uni to tkr
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
First,, let me express my sadness in what you are going through and my anger at your employer!!!

I definitely would check into what dm suggests (lawyer) as it sounds like you have the law on your side.

Second, I would call the dr. No reason to suffer through more pain than necessary (including the emotional and mental warring that goes on when afraid something could have gone wrong). TI would definitely keep icing and evelating, pain is often the worst for the first 5-7 days, so try not to get to discouraged about ROM just yet.

Know that I will keep you in my prayers. Hold to tight in the faith that things will get better ;). Iknow it is exceedingly difficult and scary right now, especially not having a job.  Check out your states medical, it is activated immediately and will cover 100%.  Call a lawyer, and then try to relax and not worry.  Easy to say from my end, I know, but worrying won't help... it will make you more tense, less able to heal (and you have alot of healing to do my friend), and make you sick.

Please keep us all posted.

God Bless (and help you in this difficult time)

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

support