Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP Post Op Medial Collateral Ligament Reconstruction  (Read 997 times)

Offline Paige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP Post Op Medial Collateral Ligament Reconstruction
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:41:41 AM »
Hi I'm new to this so I don't know if I'm posting on the right thing, I had a medial collateral ligament reconstruction on the 18th February ever since my knee has been quadruple the size of my other knee (I though that was normal due to the recent surgery) I can't even locate my knee cap it's that swollen, I haven't really been told much about the surgery or been given any post op care, basically I have 5 incisions on my leg there is one to the right of my knee on the outside of my leg which took longer than usual to heal, I now have a marble sized lump under where that incision was & it's increasingly getting bigger and more painful (my leg brace irritates it) I just want to know if it was something normal? I'm only 18 so gaining movement in my leg back is extremely important any advice is appreciated (I've been in this brace and on crutches for 6 months seeing as my leg was dislocating around 8 times a day since september until I had surgery) Thanks

Also If somebody has had this surgery could you please share your experience as I don't really know what to expect as I start to get better...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:27:12 AM by Paige »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
Re: HELP Post Op Medial Collateral Ligament Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
I can't comment on the surgery, but if it's so bad and even getting worse, you should contact the surgeon / hospital asap.  Are you not doing any sort of physiotherapy?  When is your post op follow up - you would normally see someone within around 6 weeks after any surgery.  Have you had sticthes / staples removed and the wounds checked at least - particularly if being irritated by the brace?

Assume you are icing the knee and keeping it elevated above your heart (with support under ankle/calf and not the knee) - this should help the swelling, as might an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or diclofenac (but you should discuss medication with your doctor)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Paige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply, I have been given an appointment for the 8th April, I went to see my GP and he told me I need an earlier appointment with my surgeon as my knee was so miss shaped, I rang up was told they would send one in the post put never received one, I did see the treatment nurse to have my staples out and for wound care but I got discharged last week.

Yeah I've been icing it, had it elevated etc I'm on Ibuprofen for anti inflammatory's, asprin in case of a clot & co-dydramol for the pain, I don't feel like I'm getting any where...   

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
6+ weeks seems like a really long time to still be that swollen. Almost all knee surgeries require physio/physical therapy. You didn't mention if you were doing that, either with a therapist, or with exercises at home?  You haven't seen the surgeon at all since your operation? That doesn't seem normal to me. I'm glad you have an appointment coming up, but sometimes with medical people you need to be demanding and you need to ask questions. I know at 18 you are an adult, but do you have parents or someone else nearby that could accompany you who might have more experience talking to doctors and asking questions? 18 is still rather young to deal with someone of such a magnitude all alone especially if you don't have experience with it. I had a much more minor surgery than you, and I met with my surgeon twice in the 6 weeks after my surgery (once at about 12 days and the other at 6 weeks) and in between there I called at least 2-3 times with questions.

To have such a reconstructive surgery and just be sent in your way when your knee is still so swollen 6 weeks later just doesn't seem right to me, even being completely unfamiliar with the health care systems in Europe. (I live in the US). If you are not doing any type of therapy, most likely you need to be, so make sure you ask about it. And make sure you get answers to all your questions. If someone cannot go with you, write them down ahead of time, and then write down the answers. If something feels off when you talk to the doctor, don't ignore it. This is your life and your knee and it's up to you to protect it and get the care you need. If you aren't sure what to ask or how to talk to the doctor, find someone to accompany you who can advocate for you a bit, it helps a lot! Best of luck to you.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Good to hear you have an appointment next week - did you chase the hospital about the earlier one?  I expect with Easter there may not have been one with surgeons on holiday and what-not

Make a list of questions and concerns for the appointment - I did so when I had my post op consult on my elbow, just because I am rather older than you and my memory isn't too great!  As kim says, it would certainly be good to take a parent with you too, just another pair of ears really!

I am thinking you are in the UK and being treated on the NHS?  I am not sure that 6 weeks to follow up is actually that unusual here, they like to allow healing time (after both my knee scopes it was 6 weeks, elbow op was 3 weeks but probably as was treated privately and the surgeon likes to do the wound check himself).  I assume that if the nurse who removed the staples and checked the worund was unduly worried, she would have sought advice.  Ditto the GP would have sent you to A&E or the ortho clinic :)

Good luck for the 8th :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Paige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
Hi, I haven't been given any therapy what so ever yet. I get my parents to speak to my doctors etc and they are quite demanding and persistent, I can't speak to my surgeon direct only his secretary. All I've been told was when I came round from surgery which was to keep my cricket pad splint on at all times and to start weight baring after 3 days, I rang the ward to ask for some after care (directed by my treatment nurse) they just told me to not get my leg wet and put the phone down on me. I do write all my questions down when I go to make sure everything's covered, If I ring the secretary for questions she says she'll get back to me but never does at one point I was ringing 3 times a day but me and/or my parents would just get shoved off. My sister in law is an orthopedic nurse & she finds it ridiculous that I was sent home on the same day & that I haven't been given any after care etc, I'm going to be having some stern words with my surgeon when I meet with him just to get my side across.

Thanks for the reply

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
I should have specified my first meeting with him was to remove the stitches. If I hadn't had stitches I probably would not have seen the OS until later.

Offline Paige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
I had my staples out 10 days afterwards by a district nurse