Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn MCL, mum to a toddler please please help!  (Read 612 times)

Offline jasdd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn MCL, mum to a toddler please please help!
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:37 AM »
Hello,

Please help me on Monday afternoon I quickly turned round and my knee gave in!! I was rushed to A&E and was advised I possibly have a torn MCL. Ive allways had dodgy knees they often click out place then back which is often very painful but over very quickly. This time though is very different, I was physically sick with the pain. I cant weight bare on it or straughten it still 6days later.

At the moment I can't dress my self, wash my self, clean or cook! My husband has to go back to work tues and i need to be able to look after my 2 year old!! I am very worried we dont have family around who can help so i need to be on my feet asap. I havw been referred to an orthapedic but referal can be up to three weeks wait time. After that i know i will need an mri which cab be up to 10 weeks wait time then potentially surgary.

I am doung RICE taking co-codamal and ibuprophen.

Im not looking to get back running asap or any thing major i just want to be able to care for my child, i.e make him dinner. I want to know how long it will be before i can walk/limp? All i am good for is watching t.v and thats it.

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Torn MCL, mum to a toddler please please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:04:27 AM »
Regardless of what might actually be wrong, there is no rushing the body to heal. Trying to do more on it than it is ready for can make it take longer to heal. I would get a pair of crutches, learn to adapt to using them and arrange your house in ways that''ll make it easier. For example, move any commonly used items from lower cabinets to counters or higher cabinets. You can get around pretty well on crutches with some practice. It'll take the pressure off your sore knee and let it heal better, and enable you to be more mobile while you wait for appointments and results.

Offline MaryPrankster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Torn MCL, mum to a toddler please please help!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:04 AM »
I have two small children, what I have found helpful is (I cringe typing it as we are a very health conscious family) but frozen pizza, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets,  carrot sticks. These are all things that are super easy and quick to make. Something that really helped me was, i asked my friends and family to make some good for us so all I needed to do was pull it out of the freezer or fridge pop it in the oven or microwave. My husband works crazy hours so he frequently isn't here for meals. Also if you have a grandparent or friend that can hang out with you guys for a few hours or take your child to the park or for a sleepover from time to time it can make things a lot less stressful for you so you can focus on relaxing and healing. Hope this helps.
I will ski again, I will ski again, I will ski again.....